Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was wondering if anyone in Manitoba got this free cell plan? What are some of the details.

If so what kind of savings did you get?

Thanks
Sudsy

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
You should see the promo here: http://www.mts.ca/wireless

Subscribe to: MTS Home Phone + MTS Internet + MTS TV and sign a 3 year contract for wireless (new or existing customer). Phones start at $0.

Choose from a variety of plans such as the INSIDER® Text Plan which includes:
  • 200 weekday minutes
  • Unlimited Text Messaging to and from all MTS Wireless customers in Manitoba
  • Unlimited local and long distance calling to and from other MTS Wireless customers in Manitoba
  • Unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm
If you disconnect or cancel your MTS Home Phone service, MTS High Speed Internet service or MTS TV service, then you will no longer receive the Wireless calling plan for free, but your existing Wireless contract will still apply.

You will sign a standard MTS Agreement for consumer Wireless Service for a term of 36 months on your choice of calling plan that MTS designates eligible for this offer (during this 36 month term, a monthly credit of $28.50 will appear on your bill to reflect the free wireless offer). If you disconnect or cancel any one or all of the services required, then you will be obligated to pay for the Wireless service at full price for the remainder of your Wireless term.

You will be responsible for all additional charges on your Wireless service, including but not limited to, airtime over the amount included in your Calling Plan, hardware activation fee ($40), long distance, roaming, calling features, 411 and service/ administration charges and all other add-ons that are above and beyond the basic components of the free wireless Calling Plan you have chosen.

This is a limited time offer and is subject to change without notice.
One Free Wireless Plan per household.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
I just got my Rogers bill and out of the blue they dropped my discount, so I decided to look into this offer more closely.

You can choose any wireless plan, not just the INSIDER® Text Plan. I'm going with the Pick5 Plan:
  • Unlimited local calling to and from any 5 people of your choice – any provider, mobile or landline
  • 100 free text messages every month to anyone
  • 200 weekday minutes
  • Unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm
The monthly credit of $28.50 covers the unbundled price of the plan and the "Wireless Network Charge" so the plan is free. Plus you still get the monthly bundle discount of $5, so they actually pay you $5/month.

If you decide on a higher priced plan, you get the $28.50 credit and just end up paying the difference.

You can pick any voice phone at the 3 year contract price. There are a couple that are free on contract. There is a one-time activation fee of $40, but you get a credit of $100 for porting your phone number over from another carrier.

If you suspend any of your services for vacation, etc. you will not get your $28.50 credit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When I first saw this plan offered in May I thought to myself that MTS is wanting to lock cell customers in now before Shaw activates its cell service in Manitoba next year.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
That's probably true, but Shaw isn't scheduled until the end of 2011 and I don't know when Winnipeg will be live. Wind also has spectrum in Winnipeg, so they will eventually build out Winnipeg as well, if they don't run into financial difficulty. I think Shaw will be the bigger competitive threat with their ability to bundle, but it will hard for them to beat this offer. In the meantime, the savings make this plan worthwhile.

When Winnipeg finally gets ATSC I was planning to build an HTPC with 3 or 4 tuners, but with this offer I wouldn't save enough to make it worthwhile.

I assumed that the $28.50 credit would stop at the end of the 3 year contract, but the sale rep told me the credit would continue as long as I had the plan. I don't know if he was right, but that would be a nice bonus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts