Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a Shaw customer, thinking about switching to MTS TV.

One problem, I use the Firewire port extensively on my Shaw box to record HDTV to my MythTV Home Theatre PC (HTPC)/

Do any of the MTS boxes have Firewire ports? Are they enabled to allow external recording to HTPC's? If not this is a deal breaker for me (and unfortunately what keeps me on Shaw despite their many other flaws). I like to be able to record on my HTPC so I can keep recordings, transcode them to mp4 files for long-term storage, view them on the PS3/PC, share them with friends, etc.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
The FCC in the U.S. only mandated the use of firewire on cable boxes - not on satellite or IPTV, therefore MTS boxes don't have firewire. You may be able to use the MythTV-compatible Hauppaugge HD PVR to convert the HD content to H.264 format.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound good though. Firewire is essential for me so that's a bit of a dealbreaker if a BDU doesn't have it. It's the only good way in Canada to record HD channels (in particular cable channels) to an external PC-based HTPC PVR. I was looking into that Hauppaugge thing before but I don't like the idea of going from digital > analog > digital and having to re-capture an already digital signal, plus having to deal with the whole IR blaster issue for box control. The nice thing about Firewire is that it's a pure digital capture, and there's no need for clumsy IR blasters, MythTV directly controls the cable box via Firewire to change channels. In Winnipeg, the vast majority of HD channels are recordable via Firewire on Shaw unlike some other cities.

I like to record clips/interviews/sports/movies for long term archival and retrieval and I don't like having a BDU based PVR that locks all my recordings on a single piece of equipment that I can't move around, or edit on my PC, or copy to disc/USB stick for family/friends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts