Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice all their emails gone? Perhaps this is MTS's way to get people to switch over?

Got the following message in my inbox:

On Friday, March 25, 2011, a power outage occurred, which affected one of the servers we use to store your email. This may have impacted your email service if you had not yet migrated your email to Windows Live.

We were able to address the issue and restore the ability to send and receive emails. In addition, we were able to ensure any messages that you had sent or received since the power outage were delivered as normal.

Unfortunately, any older messages (prior to Friday March 25) being stored on the server have been lost. The good news though, is that any messages that you had downloaded into an email program like Outlook were not affected.

Again, if you are currently using Windows Live, you were not affected by this server outage.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused. If you have concerns, please call us at (204) 225-5687.

Sincerely,

Debbie LeBlanc
Vice-president, Customer Care

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well they had published a drop-dead date for the old e-mail service that has long since passed. You are actually lucky that the old service is up and running at all still.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Lucky at losing your email. That is ridiculous!

If MTS is going to keep a server in production then they need to provide backups and recovery.

Users have an expectation their email is safe. If MTS can't provide that then they should shut down the capability. (i.e./ either force users over or provide proper backups)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well if they were going to offically continue support for the old mail server then I would agree with you, however they offically ended support months ago. You are just lucky that they did not turn the switch off back then and point at the many notices about the upcoming deadline you ignored.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I didn't ignore anything. I'm not with MTS. I just find it ludicrous that MTS kept servers in production without backups.

If they want to cut people off then give them a deadline and stick with it. By continuing it they gave people a false promise of security.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I actually think I remember reading in one of my reminder emails about switching over to Live that they wouldn't guarantee the old email system would remain, including saved emails. So I don't think they were giving a false sense of anything, really.

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
Good point Mozza. I received a "Second Notice to Move your Email Service" on August 10, 2010 with a deadline of October 31, 2010. I don't use my MTS email, but I wanted to keep my address just in case, so I migrated it on October 29.

·
Registered
338 Posts
MTS has definitely put an effort into informing people the old email servers are at the end of life.

Apparently if you ignored the Oct 31, 2010 deadline a fresh round of reminders were sent out saying late April they are turning off the server, at least according to a concerned MTS customer who I spoke with over the weekend.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'll repeat

If they want to cut people off then give them a deadline and stick with it. By continuing it they gave people a false promise of security.
I learned 20 years that people don't listen to IT so "reminders" are useless

I also learned that Data Backups should NEVER be sacrificed.

MTS should have simply cut users off on Oct 31, 2010. When users complained, they should have said sorry but your out of luck but if you switch by November 30th, 2010, then we can recover your email data. Then hard cut off on November 30th.

If customers don't adhere to warnings and their email is eventually shut off then shame on the customers.

If companies leave servers in production but don't back them up then shame on the companies.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They said they were turning the servers off, and email would be lost if you didn't transition. People didn't transition, so they lost their emails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts