Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
If anything MTS will start with the older developments like Valley Gardens or Brayside (too name two areas in the east side of Winnipeg) that have really old underground copper cable (installed in the 70's) that may be starting to have cable damage and is probably around the end of its life and already depreciated off the books.

The newer areas around Kildonan Green are not really financially feasible to replace as most of the cost has yet to be written off and the copper is probably still in good shape.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Probably not, when MTS TV first came in, they did not start in that area but started out in the far west of Winnipeg (Glendale/ Westwood). I live about 5 blocks west of the Gateway Head end and it took a few years for MTS to bring TV to my street.

I thought when MTS TV was announced MTS would work outwards from the Gateway exchange head end and not the piecemeal way they did it.

There were some streets near the Alpine exchange building in ST. Vital that did not get MTS TV until a few years ago due to underground copper cable cable issues that needed to be resolved.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My thinking is that MTS will not install Fion into neighbourhoods that currently have access to MTS Ultimate TV. Newly built neighbourhoods and rural additions will be the primary focus of Fion rollouts.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
MTS announced they planned to install FiON in about 20 communities by 2015, so that's where the focus will be. They've done 9 so far and the remaining ones will be relatively small.

They bought a small cable company several years ago that serves Altona, Carman, Morden, Morris, Winkler and several smaller towns, so those probably aren't on the list.

After that they will probably look at those areas of Winnipeg that are due for a rebuild, based on the condition of the existing copper cable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Makes sense. I heard that downtown would get fibre first. Also, I doubt they would start with buried cable areas. The aerial plant is most likely in much worse shape.

I remember one or two streets in The Pas where the homes were aerial, but they buried the fibre down the front street! Thought that was weird!

One last thing, for the past ~6 years I've been doing this, MTS used a buried cable (not sure what it's called) that has 6 pair copper and fiber wrapped in a rigid sheath. These areas probably won't take much more work to light up.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen here like what did with that company down south (Verizon?) where they suddenly stopped the build out of FTTH (lack of money?)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Is DSL even available there? It's really hard to say if there is enough demand or worth it to them to service smaller communities. What's the approximate population there?

·
Registered
264 Posts
According to the MTS availability page Oakbank has DSL and Stats Canada says the population is around 3000 as of 2011. I was by there in the fall and it appears there is a new housing development going in behind the new Tim's to the South of Oakbank.

As Dugald is very close I wonder if they would do both towns at the same time if and when they upgrade?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Maybe someone can verify if that new development is a fiber only build, like the new areas in the city. If so, then I'm guessing it wouldn't take much (relatively speaking) to service the original areas.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know there was a complete network rebuild in the early 1990s in the Oakbank area however I am not sure on the town proper. From memory, when they were retrenching the cables they put in fiber to the common connection point and left the existing copper from the shared services point to the house. Due to the issues with trenching cables on private property I suspect FiON service, if made available in Oakbank, would be limited to new construction.

·
Registered
757 Posts
What issues? I wouldn't think there are any major hurdles considering where else they've upgraded.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
757 Posts
FiON launched in Beausejour

I think today is the official launch of FiON in Beausejour, as I see there are news stories about it. Dr. Dave, if you going to post one of your nifty updates here, please delete this.

I'm contracting there for the next couple months. Already enjoying the slower pace compared to Winnipeg :)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts