Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been overall impressed with MTS TV and the service they offer. I like their digital guide much more than Shaws, the fact that you don't have to buy any equipment and that 1 box services 3 tv's and internet. The prices they offer are very competitive and if you bundle you can get a pretty good deal. What is going to drive me away and into Shaw's arms though is their lack of options for sports fans:

1)Still no NFL Sunday Ticket when Shaw has been offering it for at least 5 years. It was only less then a year ago that they finally got NFL network.

2)No UFC pay-per view. Last year MTS finally got the ball rolling with pay-per view and I thought great, now they'll offer the UFC. Its about a year later and I'm still waiting. I've e-mailed and called and have always received the same generic response "UFC is a product were interested in providing. I cannot give youa date of when to expect it." How much longer do they think people will swallow that crap for?

3)No Goltv. Shaw has finally come around and added it to their lineup. If MTS does not offer Goltv soon or the rumored Setanta Canada after it launches its going to be one long winter for MTS footy fans.

All in all, if they don't pick it up soon, once my promotional discount is up I'm leaving MTS high and dry.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey, I was on the same boat with mts. The sports was lacking and the same excuses. My promotion ended and i switched to *choice and i get HD and great sports packages. Mts is not big enough to have the extra's but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I switched out from MTS TV because of their crappy HD service. At least now they've added TSN, but from what I've heard it'll be at least another 8-10 months before they change the Seattle feed time-zone issues with their other networks. I personally went to Bell ExpressVu, and I'm very happy with my service, except for the usual satellite issues (heavy rain = loss of signal!)...

If MTS could offer a solid HD product, I'd go back in a minute.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You folks have an enviable situation in Canada.

HD and TV over the phone lines: MTS
HD and TV over cable lines: Shaw
HD and TV via satellite: Star Choice and Bell ExpressVu (assuming line of sight applies)

That's three more choices than I have living in my apt in Toronto. I just have Rogers Cable for HD and TV (very happy with it but choice would be nice).

No one currently has an MTS-like option in Toronto which offers any HD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MTS is horrible for HD.

-Only 7 or 8 channels which the majority are timeshifted wrong.
-No PVR
-No VOD service
-$100.00 installation fee

For someone like me who hasn't made the jump to HD yet MTS is fine but you would have to be out of your mind to susbcribe to their HD service

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
But, Mozza, if you live in Winnipeg you can get a deal on Home Phone, Internet and TV from both Shaw and MTS ... Bell ExpressVu can only offer promises of MPEG-4 some day or other.

For the 10-15% of Canadians where HD is in the mix, Bell has a good story to tell in Winnipeg. But if other factors impose themselves -- including things like MTS On Demand (they signed a deal with NBC Universal this week) -- MTS or Shaw can provide a more comprehensive "whole home" package than Bell.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I was in a bundle with MTS, and if it wasn't for their poor HD service, I would have stayed with them until the end of time. I still have phone, internet and LD with them.

As for Shaw, their phone service is awful (don't argue it, I've experienced it), their internet is capped, throttled and unreliable (don't argue it, I've experienced it), and their TV service is just as expensive as BEV, even when bundled in with their phone and internet services.

So it made sense to me to go this route. Am I happy with BEV? Well, I'm not 100% happy with satellite, period. Rain fade is an awful thing to deal with. I'm liking the HD, I'm just wishing I hadn't signed into a 2-year contract.

·
Registered
681 Posts
SensualPoet: I wish I were in your place at least you have the option of subscribing to Rogers Cable which I think has the best channel line up in Canada for cable providers. It seems when a new channel comes along they actually get it not like Shaw or MTS which might not acquire it for quite some time if at all. Us here is western Canada are crying out to have a cable provider that is like Rogers in terms of channel and package offerings. The closest thing we have to that is the satellite option (*choice or Bev). This is just TV were talking about here phone and internet are good.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dont worry everybody MTS will get more hd channels im guessing in a year or two. I dont think Shaw started out with 20 hd channels. If I remember correctly shaw only had 8 hd channels a year ago. Im sure mts when they launch more hd channels they will add a few at a time. and I agree with mozza about the Shaw internet and phone the service is very unreliable. I hope I have been some help. thankyou

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
In a year or two? That's like telling someone that their car, which they brought in for an oil change, will be ready in a month or two. MTS can't seriously think their current HD package holds any water compared to any of the other providers in Winnipeg...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts