Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
djm18,

How did your install go? Did your tech give you any information about the release of new services or features that we aren't already aware of?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It took the guy about 2 hours to install it, and he just said they were going to have 4 streams at some point and he didn't really say much else

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Does anyone know if they are adding a second feed of US HD-Nets?

I still have not received a reply on my earlier question...do they sim-sub the HD US-Networks?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure about MTS but I know Shaw in Wpg doesn't simsub the high definition U.S. networks. From what I understand, there would have to be a local station (CKND, CKY Winnipeg) requesting it and they would have to be able to provide their signal in high definition, of which they currently don't offer.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Bloody - Hell

Yeah well...tell that to Bell-TV...who continues to sim-sub both SD and HD every chance they get...regardless of the fact we have no OTA-HD channels in Winnipeg.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
The US nets on Shaw HD are not local, but the ones on MTS are. Fortunately as mentioned there is no local HD CTV or Global. So I dont think there is any hd simsubbing, but I dont have hd so I dont know for sure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
PVR with wireless router

I don't think anybody has said that the pvr also has a built in wireless router with 4 ports works pretty well
What does that allow you to do?

Can you move recordings to a networked computer?
Can you move recordings from a networked computer to the PVR?
What restrictions does it impose?

Dave S.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What does that allow you to do?

Can you move recordings to a networked computer?
Can you move recordings from a networked computer to the PVR?
What restrictions does it impose?

Dave S.
Those would be amazing.

No, the wireless router gives your house cpu's wireless internet. It gives a nice, strong signal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
not in westwood yet...here's the response i got:

Thank you for your interest in our HDTV product.

MTS is continually rolling out newly eligible HDTV areas in Winnipeg.
The date for your area has not yet been finalized.

If you opted to be notified when the service is available in your
area, you will receive a communication from us at that time.

MTS TV continues to offer you over 25 different channel package
options and 250+ channels to choose from, with digital picture and
sound on every channel. Get more of what you want, and less of what
you don't, with added features such as TV Call Display, MTS TV on
Demand, Video on Demand and a parental lock-out feature for channels
and/or content such as offensive language or violence.

We appreciate your business, and look forward to providing you with
our HDTV product soon.

·
Registered
757 Posts
About the internet...

I thought I heard that the internet is variable speed. As in, if you turn off your tv's, the bandwidth from those streams are shifted over to your internet, and that it could supposedly reach 25 Mbps?

This may have been from a website with generic VDSL2 info, not specifically MTS. :confused:

I'm excited to see if there will be any speed difference between the old system and the new one. I don't download music or movies (better things to do with my time) its just nice to have the speed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
with respect to internet speed, it doesn't appear that MTS is offering a variable plan at this point (not to say we won't see one in the future). I have the 15Mb DSL service at home with my HDTV service. I rans some DSLreport tests back a couple weeks ago and found that I consistently get between 14-15Mb down and between 1- 1.5Mb up even with all my TV's on (2 on HD, and 1 on SD). so there must be more that enough bandwidth on the line right now.

I agree it would be cool if I could get 25Mb if I shut off a TV, heck I woudl pay a few more dollars a month for something like that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
14-15 is decent. i've done a bunch of speed tests on different people's computers and at most have seen 9 Mbps Down & 1.5 Mbps Up. Haven't seen the new HDTV service in person yet.

81 - 100 of 284 Posts