Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hurray!

I called yesterday and got an appointment for Easter Monday.

Call now if you're thinking about it. It sounds like they're booking up fast.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
SomeRandomGuy, I hope you're right. Tribune Media Services supplies guide data to ZAP2it and most of the on-line guides. It seems to more accurate than Gemstar.

The MTS guy I asked had to go away for 3 or 4 minutes to find out who the supplier was and came back with a detailed answer. There was an intermediate company in there which I didn't catch but Gemstar was the original source. Maybe he was given info about the old system which I know is Gemstar.

Hopefully, once we get some members with IPTV installed we can get a confirmation.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
crjb1, www.mts.ca/hdtv will give you all the info.

I also noticed that MTS has an email form at the above link to see if you are eligible and will contact you when you are. Saves having to call in.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Read the channel guide online, hard to read for a old guy like me...lol, does anybody know if the networks have both East and West feeds?

·
Registered
241 Posts
On their site it says you must have the digital version of channels to get the HD. Anyone know how many themes you need for that?

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
dm_4u, that's what it says. I think it has something to do with the licence agreements with the stations.
YOU MUST HAVE THE DIGITAL EQUIVALENT OF HD CHANNELS IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THEM IN HD.
Edit: arminia beat me to it. My guess is that you can pick the themes you want and you get the equivalent HD channels. If you don't want a particular channel, you don't have to order it to get the rest of the HD channels. For example, if you're not interested in National Geographic then you don't have to order it to get the rest of the HD channels in the HD Starter.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I really hope this changes with time because after looking at the Theme's...you would have to order quite a few (14?) if you wanted all the HD and let's face it...that's what we are all interested in.
I would love to see one provider come out with an All-HD pack...where you get it all...plus their basic programming package for a reasonable amount.
I don't need the SD equivalent of my HD channels...and for those that do...fine...let them pay for it...me...I'll never watch them.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Thanks Dr.Dave, kind of a huge issue, but maybe with 3 feeds at once not as big as I think. DM yes you must pay for the SD feed in most instances to get the HD feed is what I was told yesterday. Not ready in my area for a few months, but I am tied to Bell till Dec. Both positive and negative aspects for MTS, negative is that I need 3 PVR`s and 2 that have HD to keep the family happy. MTS looks to be way more expensive to have it that way.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
recon, the way that AT&T in the U.S. has it set up is that there is 1 PVR for the home and you can watch any program from any TV. MTS has an earlier version of the software and hopefully will update it before Dec. So your situation would require 3 STB x $3/month + $5/month for the PVR service ($14/month). That is a lot cheaper than renting 2 HD PVRs and an SD PVR from Bell. ($50/month?)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
However, with only 25 hours of HD recording time...feeding an entire family would fill the Hard drive up in no time...as opposed to those Bell-HD PVR's.

I think the idea of the "home PVR" is great...but only for SD at the moment...perhaps if they bumped up the Hard Drive to 500GB it would be good for HD as well.

And...being able to purchase the Receiver through Bell...you would save money after x amount of years...no?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've read the manual (on-line) and am unable to determine if you can attach an external hard drive.....The box does have a USB input on the front and on the back which leads me to believe that you can add a hard drive but.....

Can anyone from Portage La P or someone in WPG who haS their HDPVR confirm.

Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you have the old Motorola HD STB box is it junk now or what? I've had it kickin around and never sold it. Can i get the full 30 channels of HD or is it limited to the 8 or 12 or whatever they were previously at?

21 - 40 of 284 Posts