Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 284 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not my building

So I just called, they said that HD is not available to my building. Might be because it is running off a different pole than the other two. She said to check back in the new year.

I find it funny that one building out of the three is connected differently, but I wasn't involved in wiring the complex so whatever.

Good luck to everyone else wanting it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The system works like this: The main receiver (Motorola VIP 1216, the one with the hard drive in it) is fed with Cat 5 from the 2WIRE hub. All the other tv's in the home are fed with coax off the 2WIRE hub, using a technology called HPNA. This is the way all homes are supposed to be wired up, to meet MTS's standards. The main reason being that there are only 4 ethernet ports on the 2WIRE hub, but a home can have up to 6 set top boxes (including the main PVR, the VIP 1216). So TV's 2 through 6 are run off coax since a splitter can be used, thus keeping 3 ethernet ports on the 2WIRE open for internet.

I'm guessing the main TV could run off coax, but there wouldn't be any difference in picture etc as those wires are just carrying digital data, not analog pictures.

IMO, just leave it as is. :)
Thanks Macman! Yeah, I had no clue about which cable would be better for the main TV (coax or ethernet from the main hub device to the pvr) but like I say, my husband was thinking coax. Hopefully this will ease his mind. All I know about the installation is that there was a lot of fishing envolved!

Either way, I'm happy over all with the picture quality of MTS HD. Coming from Star Choice HD, I still think it was a little better, but unless I had both services side-by-side I don't think I could say that for sure. MTS definitely has a big leg up with the pvr rental options.

281 - 284 of 284 Posts