Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MS Office for Android vs Individual Android Office Apps: Word, Excel, PowerPoint

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Transip 
#1 ·
So Microsoft Released the Microsoft Office Android Single App which is great, it encompasses Word, Excel, PowerPoint and another one into one application, for a quick easy access to your documents. This is great, but before this app was created, The Microsoft Office apps were freely available as individual apps already IE: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Etc. Since my phone came pre-installed with the standalone apps, I am not sure if its good to just use the Single office App or continue with the standalone 4 apps. Mind you, I can NOT uninstall the 4 standalone apps as they are part of the phone carrier branding, and I do not mind as they are apps I often use. anyone else's opinion on this app and what features they like about it?

See less See more
#2 ·
I love Office, I subscribe to 365 but I also use Gsuite as google has my biz domain, I never really use the office apps outside of a PC or laptop, everything is synched with Drive and some stuff goes to the MS One Drive. Bought a 5 pack for the house and kids in school.

I am looking for alternatives so I am interested in the responses as well/

#4 ·
According to this Microsoft blog "Combining Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in a way that simplifies the experience with fewer apps to download or switch between. It requires far less phone storage than installing individual apps while maintaining virtually all the capabilities of the existing mobile apps people already know and use." There is also a list of new and upcoming features. I haven't used the Office app personally, but I think that will be the focus of future development.

Samsung has a deal with Microsoft to pre-load the apps on their devices. Based on my understanding of my Samsung tablet, the original apps were stored in ROM which you can't access for storage anyway. When you update the apps, they are stored in regular storage, so if that is a concern, you can disable the apps and remove updates to free up storage. I used my tablet for storing videos for offline use, so I removed the updates for unnecessary apps like PowerPoint to give me maximum storage.

#5 ·
So I still keep my old phone as a backup and I will certainly be installing the Microsoft Office standalone app on it as opposed to the 3-4 individual apps and see for myself what is the difference. I might as well give it a try, rite? nothing to lose. wish me luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.