Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1201 - 1220 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,201
I was involved in a few 'panic' calls from Bell about 2 weeks ago when 6100's in a Cinema went black, so I think we really are right at the end.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
From what I'm reading in another thread, the end has come and at the end of November 2012 all Bell HD channels are MPEG4. Is that correct and can the installers confirm that there are no more replacements of non-MPEG4 receivers?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,203
To the very best of my knowledge Bell will NOT swap out any more MPEG2 HD Receivers (6100 & 9200's) for Free. If you have a very good valid reason, you might, just might get a replacement for the cost of an RMA, which I think is $149 for the 9200 and $99 for the 6100.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I haven't done an MPEG swap since probably the 1st week of December... and even then they were getting very few and far between. I'm assuming that if you haven't had a 6100 or 9200 swapped out yet, you're probably out of luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Same here matter of fact I don't think I've had one since late summer.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,206
Still a few 9242's in the odd warehouse though. Marked for MPEG4 swap. I would imagine Bell will be recalling them pretty soon to use as replacements for dead ones.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
A Stupid Question

Just a question for the experts here. If the MPEG4 swap is now over, what exactly have we as customers gained from it? It seems to be an extremely elaborate process just to add a few extra channels mostly in SD. What made it so imperative to be done? I'm asking these questions because I can't see what all the fuss was about and am puzzled about why Bell thought it was necessary. Swapping all those receivers must have been expensive to Bell. Again I ask what have we really gained?

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Bell were really tight on bandwidth, so this allows them to:

- add more SD channels
- add more HD channels
- add more VOD
- provide more bandwidth to the channels that you were watching for improved picture quality
- make use of MPEG4, which allows for more room on the HDDs of the PVRs
- makes them more competitive with other providers.
- saves them money in that they don't need to rent more transponders or a new satellite.
- etc.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Seriously though, I know nothing about HEVC, but I'm assuming that none of their current receivers support it, so it's probably a long way off, if ever.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
@57: Firstly, thank you for your detailed answer. My reaction is "so what?" It is close to what I assumed. Nothing new or earth shattering. Basically Bell was just "future-proofing" their service with no immediate paybacks to the viewer. And as several here pointed out almost immediately, the "arms race" (new tech. called HEVC) goes on.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
reidw, what do you mean about "no immediate paybacks to the viewer"? Pretty much all of the things that 57 listed all seem to be in the viewers favour. Are you telling me that you don't want double the HD recording space on your PVR? or better picture quality, or more channels?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,217
Bell TV have added lots of new HD Channels since the MEG4 swap and continue to do so. They have added dozens of new SD channels (not sure why they are adding all the community ones but hey, that is their choice) and again, more are planned.

I was never a huge fan of the PQ just before the swap and now, well, I think it is much improved. Even very large Corporate Bell Customers that I interact with are commenting on the PQ. They never did before, they had just given up and accepted the 'soft' image. It as made my job somewhat easier, as now when I arrive on site, lets say at a customer with literally hundreds of TV's, we talk about the actual problem they are experiencing NOT the PQ, this is a huge step forward in my book.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Latest news MPEG to HEVC implementation January 25, 2013

There has been some "breaking news" on HEVC possibly improving on MPEG4. I assume that the private company mentioned is actually part of the MPEG improvement process. It's probably a long way to go before reaching the satellite TV consumer.

I found information on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding (note 25).

News January 25, 2013

NGCodec™ congratulates the Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding (JCT-VC) on the approval of the new HEVC / H.265 video compression standard

Oliver Gunasekara January 25, 2013

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,219
Sorry but this has nothing to do with Bell and MPEG4, there must be a much more appropriate thread to post this in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are there any more SD channels on Nimiq 4?

I remember a decade ago because Fairchild we had to do the oval dish upgrade as the channel was being moved to Nimiq 2. Its fuzzy but I think the multicultural, HD, movie channels moved over probably to keep the number of people affected.

Don't even remember they stopped printing that hardware upgrade required to view some channels on the brochures.

1201 - 1220 of 1231 Posts