Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1181 - 1200 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
For future reference, if the condition of the chassis on your original 9242 is better than what you receive, you can easily swap the front bezel and the metal top (i.e. the "black" parts). Serial and other identifying numbers are not affected. You probably can't swap the cord easily though.

(I know, I know, off topic)

-Mike

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yup, what JoeLouie said. :)

So far no telephone survey for the work done. Too bad, the guy was really good. A friend of mine seemed to think the guy would i) be a contractor and ii) Bell really wouldn't care if I got good service from him or not.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I resent that remark. Being a contractor or not has nada to with the quality of work or knowledge or give a damn you get out of a tech. The fact of the matter is you would be hard pressed to find a satellite tech that works directly for Bell. I won't say every one is, but I have yet to see one that wasn't contractor subcontractor or working for one of the two. Know what you're talking about before you speak.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,185
As soon as a Customer sees the word Bell on a vehicle, in their eyes that guy works for Bell. Period. That is why Techs get abuse as soon as they arrive, even if it has nothing to do with the reason the Tech is there.

I do not know a single BELL employee that carries out day to day installations or Service work and I am 99% sure that 100% of the Managers would not know the difference between an Upgrade Kit #1 or #2, without opening the box and even then they would most likely not know what to do with the parts.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Amen Pinza. That one goes right through me though. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "You're not a contractor are you?...." or something along those lines.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187
I would have had $5 today alone......lol

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
For me as long as he or she is working for Bell or is sub-contractor of Bell makes no diference as long as the job is done and there no problems is all I care about. I rather give work to installer like Pinza or JoeLouie or any other sat installers on the forum. There professionals know what their doing. NO WAY am I going on a ladder drill holes in the side of the house then hook up the dish and try and find the sat, You got another thing coming an't going to happen. Even if it means paying $100 or soi dollarsto get it installed.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Easy does it there monkeyhunk, I never said I knew either way - please re-read what I wrote.

And I was EXTREMELY happy with his work, I wasn't complaining. I wanted to send his manager kudos.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got my second letter yesterday (and my first 2 weeks ago while I was away).

I called-them up and a 9242 is on it's way in 5-7 days. My letter said "may no longer work after Sept 10th".

The phone rep was trying to arrange an installer and I refused by asking what I would need one for to unplug/replug wires on the back (as well as me needing to take time off work, etc.). Still not sure if someone is going to show-up in ten days...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A 9242 swapped from a 9200 is a very simple job. The only reason you'd really need a technician is if they were send you a 9241 and 5900, of if you weren't comfortable hooking up the 9242 yourself.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192
I obviously swapped all my 9200's myself but I did allow Bell to book a Tech, who made the fastest few dollars of his day when he arrived and I told him I had done it, he closed the call and I signed, he got paid, we were all happy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd love to hit a house like yours pinza. Seems I always get the additional 6400 job that requires a new dish and a line to Narnia and back.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That's what I'd do if I were going from scratch with no walls. One on each wall at a minimum or maybe even about two inch conduit sleeves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's what I did, my builder let me wire the coms of my house and every room has two quadshield RG6U and two Cat6. If the HDMI was as inexpensive as it is today, I would have also installed two HDMIs and two fibres...oh well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Haven't heard one way or another but I for one haven't done one of those swaps in quite a while.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I haven't done any in a while either. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more last minute swaps, but they must be very close to wrapping it up completely.

1181 - 1200 of 1231 Posts