Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
@pinza: OK. One last question. Is there any way that I can transfer programs recorded on the 9200 in HD to the replacement receiver (also in HD)?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Hugh, did Bell respond to you yet with the procedure?
They responded with

We don’t have information to share now but I’ll make a note to keep you posted.
Apparently with 12 days until the swap begins, they still have no idea how they are going to do it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I hope that did not come as a surprise Hugh.....lol

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sadly, it does not.

Bell bitches and complains to me when I write stuff and there is a minor error. They call me and complain, why didn't you call us and we could have told you.

Meanwhile 60% of the time I contact them, they ignore me, 20% they say that nothing has been announced and 20% of the time they tell me there is nothing to tell me.

So this time, I call for details and they have nothing to tell me!

<sigh>

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sadly, it does not.

Bell bitches and complains to me when I write stuff and there is a minor error. They call me and complain, why didn't you call us and we could have told you.

Meanwhile 60% of the time I contact them, they ignore me, 20% they say that nothing has been announced and 20% of the time they tell me there is nothing to tell me.

So this time, I call for details and they have nothing to tell me!

<sigh>
Hugh, it does not surprize me you are getting no response since when I worked at Bell years ago it was the same then. They always treated the front line people like mushrooms kept us in the dark and feed us S...T.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Apparently with 12 days until the swap begins, they still have no idea how they are going to do it.
Hugh, Bell's response doesn't say that they don't know what they are doing. It says they don't want to tell you.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Or they don't want to tell him they don't know what they're doing ;)

-Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Swap Question?

I have a 9200 receiver which I purchased for $680.00 when they first came out and I use this for OTA recording which I then can copy to my computer for archiving, so my question refers to the use of the word "swap", as this would imply Bell would want my 9200 in exchange for the free receiver is this the case? I will gladly accept a free receiver but I will not give up my 9200 which is still useful for the OTA recording as mentioned above. If any one knows whether we keep our 9200's in this "swap" I would be glad to hear it. If Bell wants my 9200 then they can kiss my a** as I leave their customer base.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
A swap is just that, a swap, as in they take your 9200 and give you a 9242 as a swap.

Your 9200 will be useless for HD from Bell after the swap to MPEG4 but the 9242 will do everything your 9200 did, and more.

I am curious as to the procedure for "archiving" OTA recordings, can you elaborate, maybe in a new thread, as I am sure lots of people would like to know how it is done, before they 'swap' the 9200 for another receiver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The archiving is done as described in the link posted in post 66 above. Tell me can you do that with the replacement receiver or is that another feature you lose? Regardless of whether the 9200 will work with Bell for HD after the swap to MPEG4 it's still an OTA tuner and recorder whether it's subscribed or not and seeing as I paid $680.00 for it I'm not giving it up. By the way the OTA recordings are in 1080i (except for the incredably short sighted CBC which switched to 720P from 1080i as of Sept. 1, 2011) vs the 720P Bell gives you. Which would you rather see?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
@pinza: OK. One last question. Is there any way that I can transfer programs recorded on the 9200 in HD to the replacement receiver (also in HD)?
I think there is. If you take the hard drive out of your 9200 and put it in the 9242, it should show the recordings. Then you can transfer them to an external drive and put the original drive back.

I would test it, but I don't have a working 9242 right now. I think the 9242 firmware has the 9200 drives in it. If it doesn't try to reformat, it should work.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Tell me can you do that with the replacement receiver or is that another feature you lose?
You can archive any hard drive from a Bell PVR the way you are doing it. But an easier way which is available on the 9241 and 9242 is to plug in an external USB hard drive and store them there.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My understanding is that the HD in the dvr are linked/married to the unit. Taking them out and putting them in another unit doesn't work without rewriting the sectors on the drive that contain the unit serial numbers etc.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Or they don't want to tell him they don't know what they're doing
Chuckle.

The fact that they refuse to tell me some basic information suggests to me that there is a gotcha we don`t know about. I can see no harm in telling us the basics of the program.

I have contacted another contact at Bell so I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
My understanding is that the HD in the dvr are linked/married to the unit. Taking them out and putting them in another unit doesn't work without rewriting the sectors on the drive that contain the unit serial numbers etc.
Not the case. I can take a drive from a Dish Network 622 or 722 and put it in a 9242 and all the Dish recordings show and play fine.

As soon as I get my dead 9242 replaced by Bell I will test my theory.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Nice info peano. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That is good to know Peano. I will likely do the swap and archive before returning my 9200. Is there a specific requirement for the external drives that can be used?

Edit: Never mind I found the ehd thread.

61 - 80 of 1231 Posts