Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I only ask that my replacements have the same features. I think that is reasonable.

Any official response from Bell yet Hugh?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that it is completely reasonable to expect the same features in a replacement receiver.

I don't use my 9200 as a 2 TV tuner but I constantly use the split screen and tuner swap and was very surprised to read that the 9241 does not have these features. In my opinion giving up this or any other feature is not acceptable. I don't believe that anyone should have to take a step back in technology 6 years after buying a piece of hardware. What other piece of technology do you have in your house that does not either have a like for like replacement or more likely an upgraded option available?

It seems that my only option through Bell, free or otherwise for maintaining my existing features is to sit and wait to find out if I am one of the fortunate ones that am sent a replacement receiver that is mearly, from a user point of view, a like for like replacement.

I realize not all the details are known and that some will be perfectly happy with a 9241/5900 replacement option but for many, anything other that a 9242 as a replacement is far from acceptable.

·
Registered
697 Posts
There's another reason a 9241/5900 swap for a 9200 won't work for some of us. I use DPP hardware because my house is old and running new coax cabling isn't feasible. By using a DPP separator, I have a fully functional 9200 with only one cable run (I feed the second TV via a short coax run from the 9200 through a wall to an adjoining room). If Bell replaces my 9200 with a 9241 and 5900, it means having to run a second cable from the electric panel to the second TV room which ain't going to be easy, plus there's no good place to put the 5900, as the second TV is a small wall mounted LCD.

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is a problem indeed , no swap/pip on a 9241 is news to me.
No interest in any receiver without those.

I expect a 9242 or refund for the 9200 if they plan to make those useless.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
@ taxtwit, I agree with you about the 5900 option but lets be realistic here, Bell TV are doing this for FREE and they are swapping 9200's with 9242's where required. Lets just calm down and wait to see what they actually offer you before jumping about like the sky is falling.

Think about it logically, how many of the 240,000 receivers being swapped are owned and operated by DHC'ers, like ourselves.? 5% maybe.? That leaves 95% of Bell TV Customers in the dark about the options.

We at DHC have a huge advantage over other Customers as we are actually aware of this pending swap, hell, 90% of CSR's are still in the dark.

The swap has been ongoing for several weeks now, via scheduled Service Calls and my information is that only 1% of Customers have had a 9200 or 6100 hooked up to OTA etc. This is a surprise to me as most of the Technicians I spoke to are in area's where OTA is available.

I doubt there will be a shortage of 9242's if the Techs do their jobs correctly and only instal them where needed but to achieve this Bell must ensure that the correct inventory is shipped out, ie; lots of 9241's. This will be the big factor as I see it. Only last week, I know of a warehouse that got 168 x 9242's for an order they placed for 9241's.

In the words of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, DON'T PANIC.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Pinza - While OTA and 2nd room are in use by very very few, every 9200 owner who is given a 9241 will notice the missing PIP and SWAP feature.

If I understand correctly 9242 has PIP/SWAP and 9241 does not?

Many early 9200 owners paid 500+ for the PVR(s), and they are still running fine.
Bell should give a 9242 to any customer that requests it for PIP/SWAP,
whether the customer is using OTA or 2nd room at all in a techs opinion?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
every 9200 owner who is given a 9241 will notice the missing PIP and SWAP feature
I am not a betting man but would say with 100% certainty you are wrong. I know lots of people with 9200's that never knew those features existed until I told them about them.

How many 9200 owners know you can put JPG's on a USB stick and load them into the 9200.? Not many...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bell is not doing it for free out of kindness of their heart, don't get any funny ideas. If they thought it would cost them less to just tell their clients to suck it and buy new hardware, they would. But between the lost subscriptions, bad publicity and the inevitable class action lawsuits (which they would lose, at least in Quebec where we have very stringent pro-consumer laws), it costs them less to swap.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Point being...
For those who noticed the PIP and SWAP buttons on the remote and use them
that alone should be reason to swap for 9242s, not OTA and 2nd room.

Certainly will insist on 9242's for our 9200's.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I plan to wait for the notification and see what is asked, respond accordingly, unless they have no 9242's on hand my very strong desire is for a like for like swap, in other words a 9242...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Bell is not doing it for free out of kindness of their heart, don't get any funny ideas. If they thought it would cost them less to just tell their clients to suck it and buy new hardware, they would. But between the lost subscriptions, bad publicity and the inevitable class action lawsuits (which they would lose, at least in Quebec where we have very stringent pro-consumer laws), it costs them less to swap.
I don't recall any Class Action Suits when SD forced Customers to buy new Hardware, or did I miss it.?

Anyway, we are IMHO, the best informed bunch of consumers out there at DHC so as I said, don't panic.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
@pinza: What if we already own our 9200? Do we get the replacement free and clear or will we now have to start paying a monthly rental fee?

·
Registered
28 Posts
+ 1 on question above, and starting on the 23rd, do I call bell to get replacement or have to wait to be contacted by them?
What department do we need to call ?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Every 9200 will be swapped, be it Rental or Owned. If you own your 9200's as I do, you will get a replacement Free Of Charge, including any Installation costs if that applies.

You wait for Bell to contact you, there is nothing in place to arrange for you to call and ask for a swap.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
@pinza: Is doing the swap yourself a complicated procedure? Although I hate the thought of taking money away from a guy like you it seems to me that all that's involved is removing two cables from my 9200 and then connecting the same cables to my 9242 (assuming I can get one). Am I correct? If so it seems to be a waste of the installer''s time to have to come to my place. I do assume that we'll be given proper installation instructions along with our replacement receivers? Thanks.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Hugh, did Bell respond to you yet with the procedure?
Nope. Typical Bell. Oh yeah, we'll get back to you tomorrow and they never did.

I'll follow up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 9200 that I have been renting for the last 4 years.

I rented at the time because they seemed prone to trouble at the time and I figured if I bought it outright it would break just after warranty expired.

My time with this unit has been trouble free and I have been kicking myself for the last year because I am still paying rent on this unit. The unit is in a cabinet, which is open to the back, but I did place some of the kids large lego blocks under the corners of the unit to give it better cooling. Over the years, I believe it has made a difference.

I have been considering buying a 924X unit for two main reasons:
1: To stop paying rental fees
2: To have the extended hard drive capabilities

I use this unit on only one TV, and I have it set-up with DPP equipment as I only have a single line to the room that the unit is in. I rarely use PIP but do use the SWAP feature a fair bit when my timers kick-in.

I am impressed that Bell is doing this swap, but I assume they view it as the cheapest way out for them and are not doing it out of the goodness of their heart. If I wait I'll get the EHD capabilties that I need, but lose the SWAP feature but unless something changes I'll still be paying rent on the unit. Time to make a phone call!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I hate the thought of taking money away from a guy like you
That's kind of to think about my pocket but trust me, you will not be taking a penny from me.....lol

It should be very simple, Power cord, 2 Sat feeds and then the Video/Audio Cables just swapped over like for like. The first choice from Bell will be to do a "Self Installation/swap". Only if that is something the Customer is not comfortable with would a Tech get involved. Receivers will be shipped "Pre-Activated", so again, after the swap, it should be a matter of minutes before you get your programming. Maybe a "re-hit" will be required but again, I like to think either a separate number or something will be provided.

I hope Bell send out clear and concise instructions but if not either myself or someone else will I am sure put something together for this community.

41 - 60 of 1231 Posts