Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1231 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry Jumpy27 and Pinza. I did some more research and you are both correct, the 9241 does not do PIP. What a shame and waste of dual tuners.

·
Registered
894 Posts
So if someone is at there receiver limit(5?) already are Bell going add a 9241 and a 5900 to the account? I guess they would have no choice.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Indeed. What about people with four or five 9200s on their acount? Will they end up with 10 receivers?

I would accept a 9241 and 6141 for a 9200.

·
Registered
225 Posts
9242 or 9241 ??

I'm a recent Bell sat customer. While checking other things tonight I happened on the 'specs' page of the receiver. My '9242' [on the front of box] says it's a 9241 as per model number in specs.

Anyone??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Are they going to put these 43 SD channels on the 82 satellite and make them MPEG 4? I'm having a problem making sense of their thinking here.

I still say they should stop selling the SD receivers, so they can eventually make everything MPEG 4.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have 6 receivers on my account already, including 1 9242. I imagine they will try and give the replacement 9242s to the custumers who already have 6 on their account.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Bell.. I have two receivers to be replaced, a 9242 and a 6100. He said that since we already have 6 receivers on our account, if we didn't end up getting a 9242 in the swap they would most likely make an exception and allow a 7th (this isn't official, just what he told me). I actually don't mind if we don't get a 9242. We do use the 2nd tuner out, but I could make it work with the free 5900..

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
@ AFF The limit is 6 Receivers NOT 5.
@ Peano I agree, a 9241 & 6131, would also be acceptable to me.
@ Interceptor No they will NOT be MPEG4, if they were no-one with a 3100,4100,5900 would be able to see them. They may well go onto 82 but I doubt it. Who knows.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Right now with my 9200 when I use the 2nd output I can access and record the HD channels.
If I was to get a 9241 and a 5900, would the 5900 even see the HD channels?

·
Registered
342 Posts
5900 isn't HD, only PVR. However the 9241 records in HD on both tuners, but it doesn't have a second tuner out to watch tv on.

If you watch tv on using the second TV output of your 9200, even though you can see the HD channels, I don't beleive its in HD on the second TV.

So what bell is doing is replacing that 2nd TV output that ran to your second TV with a receiver. According to the guy I talked to any install work would be covered.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
@mikec: You are correct about the TV2 output not being HD however it is still handy to have the capability of watching HD programs and/or recordings on the second set from time to time. Not every HD channel has an SD sister. (e.g. All the high fidelity channels)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does the 9241 have a modulated coax output? I don't run my two 9200s in dual mode, but I do use their modulated outputs to distribute to some older SD TVs in the house, as well as using their HDMI and Component outputs to feed HD TVs.

I would also greatly miss the Swap feature, if I got stuck with 9241s.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks, mellobob. Yes, I suppose I could use composite-video to coax modulators, if I get stuck with 9241s. Ya think Bell will provide those? :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
With all due respect, I think that people are being ridiculously harsh on Bell.

Is Shaw Direct giving all of its customers with MPEG2 receivers a new unit?

Much of what Bell is doing is being forced upon it by the government at great cost to them. While Bell makes a lot of money, the satellite tv division doesn't really earn that much, especially as a percentage of capital invested.

I think some perspective is required here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is Bell able to determine remotely (via the phone line) if our receivers are in dual mode, or if they are being used for OTA reception?

Hugh: if you were specifically responding to my comment, perhaps you missed the smiley. Of course, I wasn't seriously expecting Bell to provide modulators.

Further to Hugh's point, I am pleasantly surprised and pleased that Bell is doing free replacements for the MPEG2 receivers; I would have been quite satisfied to pay for a replacement, preferably but not necessarily at a discounted price.

Any "harshness" is directed at the possibility that the replacement receivers will take away useful features that we had with the older ones. This consequence of Bell's decision to drop the 9242 in favour of the inferior 9241 in their product line is a legitimate subject of criticism, I would think.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Stan, sorry I wasn't responding specifically to you.

I just am surprised at the negativity in general. I have often been critical of Bell but frankly, I think they are being quite fair on this one and I think many people have unrealistic expectations.

21 - 40 of 1231 Posts