Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
@merve04 , as stated numerous times in here and other posts throughout the Bell section, Bell Sat is bandwidth starved so more than likely that is the reason.
look at shaw direct, do they really have more or less the same channels are bell does?? or straight up shaw, they deal with the same bandwidth problems, only so many hd channels for 6mhz spacing. really iptv is they way to go, its multicast instead of broadcast, virtually unlimited channels in that scenerio.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
MPEG4, MPEG4, the new mantra. When we get MPEG4 all the world's problems will be solved! Where have we heard that before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
MPEG4 is comming

Hello,

Following the CTVgm transaction... Bell proposed to replace all of installed high definition (HD) MPEG-2 set-top boxes with MPEG-4 capable boxes within a 12-15 month timeframe.

This will free sufficient capacity to allow for increased carriage of 43 local over-the-air (OTA) stations AND it would create surplus capacity for additional services.

Quoted from CRTC Decision CRTC 2011-163
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-163.htm

Support for local television stations through satellite carriage

35. As part of its 7 February 2011 tangible benefits package, BCE proposed to provide satellite carriage for an additional 43 local television services. This initiative would be made possible by replacing all of BCE’s installed high definition (HD) MPEG-2 set-top boxes with MPEG-4 capable boxes within a 12-15 month timeframe. BCE submitted that this would free sufficient capacity to allow for increased carriage of local over-the-air (OTA) stations. BCE submitted that this initiative would cost $84 million, of which $60 million would be counted toward its tangible benefits package.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Aquarium channel is not available full-time. It goes off-air when the bandwidth is required for other events (centre ice, ppv events, etc).

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
The Aquarium channel is not available full-time. It goes off-air when the bandwidth is required for other events (centre ice, ppv events, etc).
And I thought they were cleaning the fish tank!

Seriously that explains why it is often off the air during prime time. That always puzzled me. Thanks. I learn something every day at DHC.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Hello,

Following the CTVgm transaction... Bell proposed to replace all of installed high definition (HD) MPEG-2 set-top boxes with MPEG-4 capable boxes within a 12-15 month timeframe.

This will free sufficient capacity to allow for increased carriage of 43 local over-the-air (OTA) stations AND it would create surplus capacity for additional services.

Quoted from CRTC Decision CRTC 2011-163
http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-163.htm

Support for local television stations through satellite carriage

35. As part of its 7 February 2011 tangible benefits package, BCE proposed to provide satellite carriage for an additional 43 local television services. This initiative would be made possible by replacing all of BCE’s installed high definition (HD) MPEG-2 set-top boxes with MPEG-4 capable boxes within a 12-15 month timeframe. BCE submitted that this would free sufficient capacity to allow for increased carriage of local over-the-air (OTA) stations. BCE submitted that this initiative would cost $84 million, of which $60 million would be counted toward its tangible benefits package.
But?

For those 43 local channels(new ones) will everyone be able to receive them or just thodse in those selected new locals?

If you look at BTV not all the locals are availabl;e to everyone?

Thunder Bay and some out west?

Whats the pont of having them if you can't see them?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
The End

Sadly this spells the end for me as a Bell customer. I currently have a 9200 which I run in two TV mode. None of Bell's current MPEG4 receivers is capable of this and I doubt that they have enough refurbished 9242s to accommodate all of us who will want one. My second TV configuration will not allow for a second receiver. Too bad...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just had to call Bell TV to have my 9200 replaced thru technical support. They sent me a 9242 and it came with a letter saying they are upgrading the 9200 to a equivalent receiver, due to MPEG 4 technology.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Echostar, Bell's supplier, still makes receivers similar to the 9242. IIRC, Dish still sells them as the VIP722. Bell just does not sell them directly to customers. It's likely that Dish still has a number of receivers that can be rebranded as 9242s as well. It's unfortunate that Bell sold all the TPs at 73W to Dish. It would have been good for Eastern locals and specialty services. Bell's signal quality on some HD channels and failure to carry certain HD channels is part of the reason I am leaving Bell. MPEG4 will do nothing to help the situation if they are adding up to 43 HD locals. Don't be fooled by the "tangible benefits package." Bell's customers will pay for it somehow, probably in the way of increased fees and rates.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just to be clear. Does anyone know for sure that when Bell goes MPEG4 that they will actually stop downconverting to 720P and go back to 1080i? I know that Dish is MPEG4 and they still use HD lite(720P) for the majority. Should I not expect to see the same/similar quality whether or not im watching WPIX 11 or TSN. If I had to guess and I could be wrong but I think after the MP4 switch Bell will stay at HD lite and ram those 43 HD locals on us and only give us a few HD specialty channels from time to time. Although I would love for the day that locals are spot beamed to the germain areas only. In the age of duel tunner PVR's and east & west US networks there is really no need for all locals to be seen in all areas. That is just my opinion on the matter which is probably in the minority.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Does anyone know for sure that when Bell goes MPEG4 that they will actually stop downconverting to 720P and go back to 1080i?
It is extremely unlikely that Bell will change back to 1080i for any channels. They have a vested interest in 720p and have stated publicly that they intend to use 720p for all channels. (VOD is the one exception where they are competing with BD rentals.) Bell has also pressured broadcasters to supply a 720p feed so that Bell can comply with CRTC guidelines for BDU carriage of HD signals.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They have a vested interest in 720p and have stated publicly that they intend to use 720p for all channels.
Link please.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If Bell were to swicth to MPEG4, would it make the file size of PVR recordings smaller? I get the feeling it would, but if the receiver is already optimizing the recording for lowest file size with best quality it shouldn't make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Princie1, an MPEG-4 file would be about half the size of an MPEG-2 file of the same picture quality. The receiver doesn't optimize the file size - it just records the bits to disk.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
If Bell were to swicth to MPEG4, would it make the file size of PVR recordings smaller?
Yes. Bell's PVRs just save the digital signal directly to disk. More compression means smaller files and more recording capacity.

Link please.
To a two years old or more press release? Doubt if I could find it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If Bell were to swicth to MPEG4, would it make the file size of PVR recordings smaller
MPEG4 is a more efficient compression scheme than MPEG2, so provided the video quality is kept constant, the file size would be notably smaller, in the range of 40 to 50%.

To a two years old or more press release? Doubt if I could find it.
I have read virtually every press release to do with Bell TV over the last seven years and I have never read anything like that in a release.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
All the compression is done prior to uplinking the signal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts