Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this as a rumour because my second source would not confirm all the details

The next Shaw HD transponder will be MPEG 4 (ie only viewable with 6XX units)
There will be 6 HD channels - up for consideration:
Food
HGTV
History West
Global Vancouver
PBS Seattle
KTLA
W
Encore Avenue

8 SD channels will be dropped (5 Spokane + 3 others)

605 will be $199 with a $100 programming credit for new subs. No upgrade deal for existing subs with 505s.

Remaining 505s at time of 605 launch will continue to be sold for $25 by door to door reps to new subs only. Any additional units available will be sold for $99 thru some dealers to both new and old subs.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
When this occurs, Global Vancouver or any other local from Vancouver will likely NOT be MPEG-4 right away due to the fact that they will need to perform simsubs in the lower mainland area over Seattle-Tacoma networks.

As for the Spokane networks, I believe only CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC will be pulled and ONLY once the fiber optic network is completed between Spokane and Calgary. KSPS (PBS) will likely remain on Shaw Direct.

Edit: To add MPEG-4 is still likely several months away (probably more)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This seem believable to me (mostly). Food and HGTV have been in the works for two years, Canwest was just too broke to bother with them. I guess W makes sense as well, but it wouldn't be my choice.
We really don't need a timeshift of History. That seems really unlikely to me. PBS Seattle isn't needed but it's possible, and don't they already have Encore Avenue HD?
An additional HD feed of TMN should be on the priority list.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
HGTV HD is launching in November. I have not heard anything on Food Network HD. Corus Entertainment is apparently planning to launch YTV HD and W Network HD soon but no provider as of yet has indicated a carriage agreement where as HGTV HD has been confirmed for November on Bell.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I heard that the 605 is a long way from being released because it is not as stable as the 505. Last thing that Shaw Direct needs is another 530 fiasco.

I heard that SBS wants a MPEG 4 transponder asap for cable head ends. How embarrassing for Shaw - get control of Canwest and cable head ends buy HGTV HD feed from Bell.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The 605 should be no less stable than the 630, simply because it runs on the same code base, and most of the issues with the 630 are related to recordings anyway.
I far as I know the 605 should launch in the few weeks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
MPEG4 will about double the capacity for HD channels, without adding satellite space or negatively affecting picture quality.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The 605 should be no less stable than the 630, simply because it runs on the same code base, and most of the issues with the 630 are related to recordings anyway.
The 630 has a way to go before it is as stable as the 530 and 505, and if they add flakey external hard drive software to the 630 & 605 the stability would be even worse. They really do need solid code to be written for these machines.

Still no one has answered the question about these receivers being DVB-S2 capable, does anyone have a yes or no answer to this...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Still no one has answered the question about these receivers being DVB-S2 capable, does anyone have a yes or no answer to this...
Exactly - certainly since there will be no new bandwidth for at least 26 months, the business case at Shaw must certainly be NO new MPEG2 HD transponders.

If the 6xx is not DVB-S2 capable, are we into the scenario

1) Sorry but your 500 - that you paid over $500 for in the last year - is not 8PSK capable; you need to buy a 505

2) Sorry, we have decided not to add the MPEG 4 board to your 5XX, you need a 6XX

3) Sorry your 6XX unit is not DVB-S2 capable. To receive signals from G1, you need a 7XX

Come on Shaw, step up to the plate and answer the question: "Are the 6XX models DVB-S2 capable and are you planning on supporting DVB-S2?"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Will the recordings be stored compressed on the 630's hard drive?

As an example, when I save 1 hour on my DishNetwork receiver, the HD hour counter drops by about 15 minutes. But if I record an HD program from the Off Air Antenna, 1 hour of HD content uncompressed drops the counter 1 hour. So over the years, the receiver went from a 30hr~ capable machine to 120hr~ without a hard drive change. Pretty nice.

That may explain why they were so stingy with the hard drive size on their new hardware?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I am not going to say DVB S2, but surely the 6xx series will be MPEG4 at least, if not DVB-S2. Same for compatibility with the G1 satellite.

The DVRs do not compress, they record the already compressed stream natively as it is received from the source. I have never heard of a digital provider DVR which doesn't do that.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
DVB-S2 is just a modulation scheme, it's not compression.

The MPEG-4 signals could either be 8PSK or DVB-S2. Either modulation scheme coupled with MPEG-4 compression will provide a lot more bandwidth then what's available now. I believe DVB-S2/MPEG-4 will yield a bit more bandwidth then 8PSK/MPEG-4.

The DSR630 and DSR605 have MPEG-4 capability built in. There is no information in the documentation to indicate that the new receivers can handle signals modulated in DVB-S2. That doesn't mean it can't though.

Best bet is to contact Motorola. I doubt anyone will get a straight answer from Shaw Direct about this.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
As an example, when I save 1 hour on my DishNetwork receiver, the HD hour counter drops by about 15 minutes. But if I record an HD program from the Off Air Antenna, 1 hour of HD content uncompressed drops the counter 1 hour. So over the years, the receiver went from a 30hr~ capable machine to 120hr~ without a hard drive change. Pretty nice.
This is the case because Dish Network uses MPEG-4 technology and an MPEG-4 transport stream is much smaller then an MPEG-2 stream that one would record from an over-the-air signal. MPEG-4 streams can be as little as 4-6MB/Sec where an over-the-air signal can be as high as 19.4MB/Sec

I believe when Shaw Direct eventually goes MPEG-4, recording sizes will go down on HD channels since the transport signal will be smaller then the current MPEG-2.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Will the recordings be stored compressed on the 630's hard drive?

As an example, when I save 1 hour on my DishNetwork receiver, the HD hour counter drops by about 15 minutes. But if I record an HD program from the Off Air Antenna, 1 hour of HD content uncompressed drops the counter 1 hour.
As classicsat mentioned, the DVR just stores the stream however it comes in. OTA HD is MPEG2 and is compressed, but at a much higher bit rate (i.e. less compressed) than the MPEG4 stream from Dish, so it takes up more space. That's all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts