Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I will have my Optik TV installation tomorrow. I was told that if I move the STBs to other rooms after the initial installation, Telus will have to send techs out again to do the move, and I will be charged for that.

As I am expecting a baby, the room where one of the TV is located will be converted into a baby room so no need for a TV there. Coming from Shaw where all you have to do when moving TVs between rooms is to unplug the coax cable and plug into the new one, I want to see if there's a simpler and cheaper, if not free way to move the STBs.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,241 Posts
Hi amgc36.

What you want may be possible. Just tell the installer where the box will go and he can make sure the coax is connected to the HPNA splitter and tested.

When the time come to move the STB, you should be able to unscrew the coax from the box, move it to the new location and connect the box to the new coax.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just tell the installer where the box will go and he can make sure the coax is connected to the HPNA splitter and tested.

When the time come to move the STB, you should be able to unscrew the coax from the box, move it to the new location and connect the box to the new coax.
So if you've done this, would you have the option of buying another box at a later time and then adding it yourself to avoid the $100 install fee?

·
Registered
376 Posts
OK, tried this myself - moved the STB downstairs to a different coax input and the box worked fine. The caveat is that the downstairs coax line is a split from the u/s location where Optik is installed. My conclusion is that Optik works through a coax split if at least one of them is included in the install location.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Even if it wasn't done with the install I would think you could hook the router up to your coax then use any coax jack. It's not doing anything telus specific, it's just standard HPNA functionality and then the STB, or anything else that is HPNA capable and hooked up to your coax would effectively be on your lan.

·
Super Moderator
17,241 Posts
If you have an HPNA splitter and properly installed RG6 coax, you shouldn't have any problem.

I don't know if Telus supports self-install for additional boxes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is no self install option currently supported.

Do so at your own risk.

Though you are correct in that all we would do to move it to another jack is swing the coax line to the hpna splitter and make sure their is compression ends and tests ok.

-Telus employee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts