Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have MTSTV and will be moving, with our service, to a new house. I called and asked what to do with the hardware and they said to bring everything over and they will re-install everything. The 2wire router is located in my bathroom, mounted to the wall. Anything I need to know about disconnecting it? Do I bring only the hardware and leave the wires? The MTS rep was very vague...

Any info would be nice...has anyone else moved their hardware to a new house?

Thanks!

·
Registered
757 Posts
First thing, have they confirmed that the new location is definitely eligible for ultimate tv? If not, unfortunately you'll only have the option to go with classic (if it's even eligible) or just high speed internet if ineligible for both. Unlikely, but who knows...

Leave the wires behind, unless they are easy to take. Only bring the receivers and their power cords, remotes, a/v cables.

They'll probably end up swapping the 2wire, since plugging in an old unit at a new location within 24 (or 48?) hours will cause the "tv port" to be locked out. The only exception would be if someone knows how to do a "broadband release" before unplugging it. No biggie, as long as the installer duplicates your old wireless SSID and password on the new 2wire, or connects any wireless devices to the new SSID/pw.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
338 Posts
In terms of the wires, the answer is not simple.

General rule is if it comes from the wall and connects to something then leave it. If it goes between two items, ie the box and the tv, take it with you. If the wire goes from a easily disconnected wall jack (ie tradational "cable tv" cable) take that too.

As for the move, it is possible to keep your existing 2wire provided your new location is eligible for service. I have first hand experience with this. It is not as simple though as unplugging at the old location and plugging in at the new location, the tech at my place actually needed to call into some number to get the 2wire online at the new location.

Also keep in mind the main, bigger ultimate box should be connected with cat5 (square cable end) at the new location as coxial (round cable end) can cause trouble with PVR playback on other tvs.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
FYI - had the MTS installer in the new house today, and he did a great job. We had a great chat about Biggest Loser, and he even took my side when my wife was nagging at me about where to put the boxes. Good work - everything is looking and working great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts