Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so confused as to the best (or any) way to move my iTunes library, apps, etc. to another computer. I can physically move the data, but what will happen when I try to sync the iPad on the new computer? Will it wipe the ipad and sync with the new library - will it keep my purchased music/apps?

Help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just move your data and make sure it shows up properly in iTunes on the new machine. Also log into the iTunes store at least once. Then plug in your iPad and it should sync no problem. It will not have to reload the iPad because you copied everything from the old machine. Note that you will want to let it do an iPad backup on the new machine so that you have a saved backup (unless you copy the backups from the previous machine).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just getting back to this. I managed to get all my content (music, movies, apps, etc.) into a new iTunes library on a new computer. When I plug the iPad in on the new computer, it shows up in iTunes. If I try to sync, it says that this iPad is already sync'd with another computer and it will be wiped clean before syncing.

Ok - no problem - since I have all the content I need, it will just replace it with the same stuff. But wait - what about all the data contained within the Apps. Won't I lose that?

Can I simply restore the iPad from a backup created on the old computer? Should I sync first, then restore from backup or vice-versa.

Still confused.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

My guess after reading above is you:

Backup your iPad on the old computer.
Copy the Backup file to the new computer
Restore on the new computer

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It also says

you can also use a backup to transfer this information to a different device.
I'd try copying the backup file to the new computer and try to do a restore on the new computer. I don't see how it could hurt since you'd still have the backup on the old computer if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might try that. I interpreted the phrase "different device" to mean a different iPad. So if my iPad gets crushed, I could get a new one and reload it from my backup.

If "device" refers to a computer, then perhaps you are right.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I interpreted the phrase "different device" to mean a different iPad.
Understand.

Please post how you make out. I may be buying a new computer in the new year and could have the same issue.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what I did. I don't know if this is the only or best way to change the computer you sync with, but it seems to work. Use at your own risk - please make sure you backup everything first.

I followed the instructions here to make a copy of my itunes library on another computer. One of the steps is to use this utility which copies all the files. It was hard to download the utility - iTunes Library Mover. The link takes you to an error page. Interesting enough, I was able to access this file from my iPad using safari and I used an app which reads .zip files to mail it to myself. I had to first change the extension to something other than .zip (like .zipp) because the iPad mailer doesn't seem to like attaching files with .zip extensions.

So after I did all this I had an exact copy of my music/videos on another computer. Also, since I authorized the other computer with my account, I was able to transfer all the purchase licenses.

So I held my breath and "sync"d the iPad. It says it will erase and resync. It actually only erases, music and videos (as far as I could tell). It left all the apps and photos untouched. When I sync'd it erased all the music/videos, but since the new computer now had all my content, it just brought it all back.

I had some issues with album art being messed up and stuff.. but I'm not sure if that was due to some other mucking around I did.

In any event, I successfully got it to sync on the other computer and the iPad is pretty much none the wiser.

I'll report back any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts