Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks;

I am a current Rogers wireless customer. My phone can be upgraded in August 2011 and my contract expires August 2012. I'm told be Rogers that my cancellation fee would be $200.

I'd like to move to Bell because (a) all my other services have been with Bell since we moved out of Mississauga, and (b) I like the Motorola Atrix.

Of course, I don't want to lose our 2 cell phone numbers, which are actually sequential ( xxx-6647 and xxx-6648).

What's the experience you have had with this kind of move?

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've learned from my personal mistakes, and I'm sure others will recommend it, but I would suggest going to a store in person. You won't have to deal with a DOA device or missing items (SIM card). You can go over the contract, package, with someone right there.

-Bell will also take care of transferring your #'s to your new phone, without you dealing with Rogers whatsoever.
-If you have a contract to pay off, you'll get the bill for it.
-Waiting for a phone to arrive by mail sucks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, Costa.

I'm actually hoping to buy 2 Atrix's..... Do you think there is any leverage in that? Especially if I'm moving from Rogers and willing to break a contract?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm assuming that you're going on a contract for both? So you'll get a contract discount for both atleast. Try to get the store to throw in an accessory or two, because their isnt much else they can do. Showing interest in competitor's might make it a more interesting ball game.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Does Rogers cap the cancellation fee at $200, or is it $20/month remaining on the contract? Also note that the price would be doubled since you have two phones (unless I misread that and only 1 device is on a contract).

Back when the HTC Touch was released (2008?), I ported my number to Bell from Rogers and there weren't any issues. The big thing to note is to not deal with Rogers at all. Do not tell them you are moving to Bell (since they may try and cancel the lines before they are ported; rendering the numbers lost.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took me a while to figure out where the $200 came from. My contract has 18 months to go, and the penalty declines by $20 a month, so I would have thought it would be 18x20=$360.

My phone can be renewed in August and that is when the penalty is calculated from. That's 5x20=$100. And the rep said Rogers has a minimum penalty of $100.

The two phones are on one plan, so there should only be one cancellation fee. I don't want to ask at this point because when i asked last time they wanted to put me on to the Retention department.

I like Rogers. But I have always had a Motorola phone -- it goes back to when I had a Motorola pager and sold Motorola Unix-based RISC systems -- but Rogers seems to be dropping all the Motorola phones now. And if I talk to retentions they will set me up with an offer I can't refuse (which isn't a horrid thing) but with a phone I really don't want.

Rich

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
When my brother and sister-in-law cancelled their share plan with Rogers, they charged a cancellation fee on both phones. It ended up being fairly expensive as a result.

Also, I'm quite sure the penalty is applied for the full 3 year contract - not just the time until you can upgrade phones (otherwise there would be no need for having a 3-year contract).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi BGY11;

I agree 100% with your reasoning, but the CSR said $200 and that there was always a minimum cancel fee of $100. The math works based upon that. I didn't question it at the time and I'm concerned about calling back to clarify. She wanted to transfer me to retentions and I wouldn't be surprised if she flagged my account in case I call again.

Of course, CSR's are never wrong, right?

Rich

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just learned that the $200 is correct. But not they way I thought. Rogers has a flat $200 cancel fee for contracts signed prior to 2007.

I have one plan with 2 phones, so the question on that still remains.

Rich

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Mark. I saw that today as well. Hard to beat. They had a live Atrix at Future Shop and I played with it a bit. Very impressive, especially the clarity of the display.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Rogers again and got told it was $20/mnth for 18 months = $360 to cancel.

So, I called back and spoke to cancellations. Very quick answer. My original contract signed back in 2000 had a maximum cancellation fee of $200. Even though I renewed the plan when I got a new phone 18 months ago, that fee is valid. My wife's phone, which is on the same family plan, is out of contract because she hasn't upgraded it. Cancellation fee is $0.

Rich

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bought 2 Atrix phones on Tuesday. Fab 10 plan at $55/mnth per phone, giving

free calling to 10 numbers
unlimited text/photo/video messages
unlimited social networking
evenings and weekends

200 talk minutes
1GB data

The talk and data are per phone but shared between the 2 phones, so max is 400 minutes and 2GB.

The Atrix is amazing, but since it's my first SmartPhone I have no comparison. Other than I think it is smrter I mean smarter than I am....

Rich

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Did you ensure they have HSPA coverage up north where you'll need it?

The Atrix does look like a really nice phone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no idea. Until earlier today I didn't even know what HSPA was....

"Ignorance is bliss, and it is folly to be wise...."

Like I said, I have no basis for comparison with other phones. One thing I don't like is that when Social Networking is installed, it pulls any of my Facebook friends who have phone numbers in their profile into my contact directory. You can't delete them without de-friending them in Facebook. I almost called someone today on his cell phone in Nigeria. Fortunately, the overseas call was restricted before it went through.

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts