Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to move my dish down lower to where brick is located. Having siding done plus it makes it easier to access. I might also try my Dish Pro Quad LNB at the time also.

Question, what plastic inserts/screws/drill bits, etc. do I need for mounting to brick?

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just came back from the local electronics store. They also mentioned Tapcons from Home Depot.

When I go to Home Depot, what exactly do I look for size wise? Do they come with screws/bolts? Different sizes? Drill bit size?

Thx.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I am still so confused on this part... braiding and foil. At the electronics store, they said to cut it right off (actually the stripper took it off anyway), but all I hear elsewhere... is to fold the braiding back. Now this is with RG59/U (for CCTV), RG6 and BNC connectors as well.

Which is it? I just picked up a a RG59/RG6 compression tool (Thomas & Betts Snap-n-Seal), Xcelite RG59/RG6 wire stripper, and a bunch of Snap-n-Seal connectors and want to get it right. I can't stand these screw on connectors I have been using all along.

Thx.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you are saying that the braiding is actually NEEDED then? I don't get it... the guy at the store (young but seemed knowledgable) said to cut it right off. I can understand the 'foil' coming right off the inner white part though, and have seen many vids doing just that.

Thx.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, thanks. Here is where I want to mount it... just below the motion light to the left. I guess I could also mount on the fence to the left (might even be easier?). Ya I know the sidng is pathetic... that is what is being redone and why the dish needs to move. I want eye level access to it anyway, so the lower the better :)

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After trying the stripper, all it left was the foil wrap, and a few braids which fell off easy (perhaps I turned the stripper too many times). I then removed the foil easily, and this is the end product. And this is incorrect?? Why is braiding needed to be folded back? Grounding? This is RG-6/U. tx

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what you mean by 'never get them on'. This SnS connector fit very very tight w/o the braiding back (from the last pic above I posted).

Just came back from HD, and picked up a few Tapcon concrete screws. I assume these are the correkt cones. I did not see any Masonry Anchor Screw, although they were prob around somewhere. These Tapcons have a cheap looking head for a socket, and also have a slot for flat head screwdriver. Sad.

http://173.201.24.200/images/misc/DSC00561.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.