Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
classicsat said:
It is different. Movies and TV shows are high value content, not just simply data.
From the perspective that matters in this thread (delivering of the content), movies and TV shows are simply data.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The real problem is delivering that "data" without incurring massive costs.

Current distribution paradigms simply cost too much and or simply not available in new and rural areas.

Add in the desire for many to re-watch content and the data flow requirements expand greatly.

For most, the plastic disk medium is the most economical. Do NOT confuse this with most efficient re: cost / carbon footprint discussions. The data pipe hasn't dropped price enough.

Cameron

·
Registered
54 Posts
iTunes + Apple TV. I think it has the best overall user experience, and is great if you're looking to replace your local Blockbuster Video (selection-wise).

Personally, I use Xbox Video on a HTPC and Xbox 360 consoles. It has similar selection to the Apple system, but the Xbox 360 can act as an extender for Windows Media Center, so I have a 360 at each TV for that reason.

Both systems stream at 1080p, the video quality is quite good.
I'm late to the Apple TV game, I just bought one and I must admit the picture and audio quality are pretty good - even projected on a 100" screen. I rented Nightcrawler in HD from iTunes store - I would say PQ is just slightly below bluray quality. Audio at DD is pretty good, better than Rogers on Demand DD.

Still hoping to find a place to rent bluray discs though for movies that are worthwhile watching on bluray eg Avengers etc

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
A couple of days ago, on the way home from work, I came across a gas station that rents DVDs and BDs. The selection isn't huge - a couple of copies of the latest releases, mostly on DVD - but the price ($2.50) is very reasonable (and cheaper than iTunes) and I'll have the opportunity to snag a BD from time to time (such as tonight's "Big Hero 6").

I hope this lasts... :)

·
Super Moderator
56,416 Posts
Upstairs Video, which was on Yonge, just north of Eglinton is closed. Apparently it's been closed since late March. I didn't notice until today since I usually only rent in the winter when we go inside earlier. We only rent a few titles per year that are not on TMN. This spot was very convenient for us since we walked past almost every day.

I guess we'll need to go to VideoFlicks on Avenue Rd. north of Lawrence if we need something - but it's 3 km away.

Welcome

I guess at some point I'll have to give in to the pay streaming option, but so far I haven't needed to.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
It's now been 2 1/2 years since Redbox left Canada, so I was surprised to read today that Redbox is still adding kiosks in the U.S., and plans to continue in 2018. :eek:

The first Lionsgate-Redbox supply deal was signed in 2009 and last renewed in 2014. During that time, Netflix and the ability to digitally view movies online threatened to send Redbox and its red vending machines the way of Blockbuster on the road to oblivion.

But Galen Smith, CEO of Redbox, argued that consumers have an alternative to the movie streaming option. "Thanks to our prolific footprint and value proposition, Redbox makes new-release content more accessible to millions of consumers nationwide," Smith said in his own statement.

By the end of 2017, Redbox will have more than 41,500 kiosks nationwide, as it adds 1,500 new kiosks this year, with more planned for 2018.
Lionsgate Renews Redbox Distribution Deal

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
It's now been 2 1/2 years since Redbox left Canada, so I was surprised to read today that Redbox is still adding kiosks in the U.S., and plans to continue in 2018. :eek:

Lionsgate Renews Redbox Distribution Deal
Well, it's now five years since Redbox left Canada, but they are somehow still carrying on in the U.S., and they have just launched an ad-supported video service:

Redbox quietly launches ad-supported video service [February 10, 2020]

DVD kiosk company Redbox is launching an ad-supported online video service. The company has been testing the service on its website and in its mobile app with a subset of its audience, a spokesperson confirmed to Protocol, adding that it would roll it out to additional devices and users "in the coming days and weeks."
However, most of the company's business is tied to its physical disc rentals, with Redbox still operating some 41,000 rental kiosks in grocery stores and other locations. Redbox claims that its kiosks have facilitated more than 6 billion disc rentals to date.
Redbox Launches A Free Live TV Streaming Service [Feb 11, 2020]

Redbox is entering the live TV streaming arena with the launch of a free, ad-supported service on its website and apps. It’s available to a limited number of people for now, but will be rolling out across the US soon.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts