Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Problem with Redbox "Reserve" option.

For the past couple of days, although I am able access Redbox, view movies and log into my account just fine, I can't get the Reserve option to work.

I click the button, type in my postal code, and then the site just hangs while the little "red box" status bar chugs merrily along. Eventually, I get an "unknown API error" pop-up...and that's the end of it.

I called Redbox and explained what was going on, and that this problem was happening at work (using IE) and at home (using Chrome and Firefox). They said they are not having any issue with their site and suggested I clear cookies, cache and history, so I did. No change.

Is anyone else having a similar problem? If so, have you been able to resolve it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
"Best Buy Movie Kiosk" business shutting down

I have been renting videos from a local Best Buy Movie Kiosk for the past while and noticed that they stopped adding new releases on July 31/13.

I emailed Best Buy and today received this response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy with your inquiry.

As of August 21st 2013, Best Buy began removing all movie kiosks from retail outlets in Canada. Best Buy will be moving out of the movie rental business and by the end of September all movie kiosks will be removed from their locations and turned off.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
I did manage to purchase (from a kiosk) a Blu-ray copy, in excellent condition, of Skyfall for $4.99 and plan to look to purchase other desired titles before the machines disappear.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Is my impression that the market for rental discs is being closed incorrect?

Not for renting movies - it seems there are alternatives for that - but for movies and TV shows on disc. Seems to be getting harder and harder to find places with much stock. Actually, harder to find any place that rents.

Has the market changed that much?

·
Registered
364 Posts
There is a new rental/purchase kiosk called The Magic Movie Box in Markham. There are other locations in Ontario as well. They have a good website magicmoviebox where you can reserve in advance. Rental rate for Blu Ray and 3D is $2.48 + hst ist night.
I have used it 3 times so far for just released movies and the billing seems to work fine.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
According to the location info for "Magic Movie Box", the unit in Markham looks to be the *only* location.

http://magicmoviebox.mydvdkiosks.net/member/searchMoviesByMachine?machineId=S250-E849

This model/type of kiosk machine appears to be franchised out by DVD Now:

http://www.dvdnowkiosks.com/kiosks_

...and there are some unhappy franchisees:

http://www.unhappyfranchisee.com/dvdnow-dvd-vending-kiosks-scam-or-no-scam/

The kiosk units are manufactured by Cereson Inc.:

http://cereson.com/index.html

...the same company that manufactures the Best Buy Express kiosks that are seen in airports.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've used Redbox a few times this month. So far, so good. Unlike zip, the new releases become available the same week the discs go on sale. I especially like the online reservation system, no more driving to a location just to come back empty handed. It's quite cheap too, $2/night. I hope this business lasts.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Thumbs up for the Redbox kiosks. Haven't yet experienced a problem with them. Can't beet the price. Only downside is having to go to a redbox to return. I mean it's easy enough to grab a quick movie on the way out of the grocery store or walmart but I'm not necessarily planning to go back there the next day.

Still, it's nice to see a good quality Blu-Ray every once in a while instead of streaming everything. (I cut off the overly expensive and under performing movie channels long ago.)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I wish they would offer a "weekend" rate. It would be nice to pick up a movie or two on Friday and not have to return it until Monday. Yes, I am aware that I can do exactly that (for full price).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Redbox seems to be expanding - they have several new kiosks located close to my house.

I don't mind the second trip to return the discs - no different during the blockbuster days.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Redbox seems to be really expanding their locations....well at least where I live in Brampton.....use to be like only 1 kiosk and now there is like 5-6 within my driving distance......they put them in a Sobey's, Petro-Canada, Real Superstore, Giant Tiger, Fresh Foods, and Wal-Marts.....and very good selection of new release Blu-rays and love the online reservation system where you can just go and pick it up......hope it lasts as can't beat the $2.00.....

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Redbox Will Be Leaving Canada

We’d like to thank you for enjoying new-release movies with us.

You’ll be able to continue renting movies until February 13, 2015, and the last day you’ll be able to return them is March 5, 2015.
FAQs

So much for expansion! :eek:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
IMHO, that was inevitable. Streaming video is better than plastic discs, especially when you have to go put the data back after you've watched it. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
IMHO, that was inevitable. Streaming video is better than plastic discs, especially when you have to go put the data back after you've watched it. :)
Better from a convenience standpoint.

I mostly use Netflix these days, but sometimes a friend will bring over a new Blu-ray purchase. The quality difference is immediately apparent. I feel like I'm wasting the projector's bulb on Netflix.

I still miss being able to rent a Blu-ray from the old Blockbuster that was a block away.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts