Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just downloaded the MC HD lineup (http://www.moviecentral.ca/schedule/PDF/30day_HD.pdf) and noticed a ton of movies on there, different movies, that play 24/7.

My Rogers TMN HD is bleak to say the least - the same movies/shows weekly with huge gaps of nothing. Can't even get a movie to play on Saturday night - how much of this constant Regenesis and Stargate do we need?

Am I correct in assuming that Shaw HD customers out west have access to this lineup of programming?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I Would Say definately Yes They Do, I myself Have complained a number of time to TMN about there schedule especially there HD channel line up, but It like
beating you head against a brick wall. I subscribe to the movie network to watch movies not series no mater how good. I just can't believe the total
scheduleing attitude of TMN. To Me if you really wanted to boost your
subscriber base you would be running an HD feature movie at least three or
four times a week During prime time and on the weekends say fri/sun night.
Instead you get large blocks of nothing as you noticed or HD movies running
at 7am 2pm in the aft and god only knows what times with little or nothing
during prime time throughout the week. The only thing that has kept me as a subscriber to TMN is MOD now that it is available or they would have been
toast a couple of months ago, my Wife has gotten to like MOD because she can
taylor her movie viewing in to her schedule much easier.
That schedule sure look much more appealing then TMN"S for sure, at least they have HD movies running in Prime time on the weekends and some fairly new releases at that. Maybe TMN will wake up one of these Days I HOPE :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think this would be the first time that TMN has been bested by MC. I am very thankful for a MCHD 24/7 channel. Hopefully they will increase the amount of movies in their rotation but having a dedicated HD movie channel has reduced the pain of only having 6 total HD channels in Vancouver.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Up until mid-December, those of us getting MC were complaining about the lack of movies in HD from Movie Central, especially compared to the Movie Network. On December 13, 2004, Movie Central went to a 24/7 channel of HD movies. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

However, we haven't seen how many new HD movies will be added to MC's channel in a new month. Until then I will still be a bit apprehensive.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't have the numbers in front of me, however, TMN is a major cash cow....they certainly could afford to go 24/7 with HD content like MC has.

As StarChoice has designated HD5 for TMN HD (with the gaps currently being filled by PBS HD), I look forward to 24/7 TMN HD at some point....let's hope sooner than later.

BTW....HBO had a HD marathon of Sopranos Season 5 during the Xmas holidays....not so on TMN....GRRRR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I find Rogers a difficult company to figure out. They are no doubt pioneers in their field, in Canada at least, and I am impressed that they do continue to upgrade their extensive network in a timely fashion. However, in my opinion, they are doing that just to become the biggest player in this country. The way they provide customer service is inexcusable.

If I’m renting their HD PVR, paying costly prices for these premium channels like TMN and yet receiving an inferior product than what their competitor (I’m not so sure Shaw is really a competitor – it’s more like the cable companies against the others) provides, I consider that not looking out for the customer.

If Movie Central is providing a better product than TMN, Rogers, if they did consider their customers important, would either press TMN to provide as good a product as MC (if not better), or switch to MC to show movies. If HD is coming to the masses, why can’t the people that invested in HD televisions, premium stations, STB's and PVR’s right now, be provided with the best product available. We are now putting up with all the technical glitches of this new technology.

In my household, by the time these “first-run movies” appear on TMN, we’ve already seen them either at the theatre or from the local Blockbuster. I know that’s the way it is, digital cable can’t play these movies until after the DVD release, Pay-TV, etc – what is it like 9 months later after it’s in the theatre? So, in my opinion it’s not that great a product to begin with.

However, it is nice to know that if I turn on my television I can see something on my HD TMN channel 24/7. It’s not like the other HD stations (Global, CTV – and hurry up CBC) present anything in true HD. It’s hard to believe I need to turn to American stations to find the occasional true HD program.

I’m paying for a movie network in HD. Now knowing that this is possible 24/7 after viewing the MC schedule, I expect no less from Rogers/TMN.

·
Registered
279 Posts
tommy99 said:
, or switch to MC to show movies.
Rogers can't - TMN & MC have decided not to compete against each other. The Manitoba border is the dividing line.

Rogers is already doing more than any other broadcaster - Sportsnet runs circles around BGM's TSN for HD.

Corus (spun off from Shaw) has the only 24/7 HD service in Canada - only available on Shaw properties (Shaw Cable/Star Choice).

You can see the HD battle lines drawn at the CRTC right now - Rogers/Shaw wanting more HD - on the other side - the simsub kings, who spend more money on lawyers and Ottawa lobbyists than Canadian HD programming - Bell/Global/Astra/Allliance wanting more protection from their Liberal serfs

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
tommy99 said:
I’m paying for a movie network in HD. Now knowing that this is possible 24/7 after viewing the MC schedule, I expect no less from Rogers/TMN.
How long has MC been 24/7? My impression is that it had only been a few months.

MC and TMN keep leap-frogging each other. At one point one has better offerings; later on the other does. The amount of HD material on the TMN HD channel has improved a lot, in the last few months. Presumably they will catch up soon. I'm not as familiar with MC - (not being in the west). I know they carry the HBO programming now - though they didn't for years. How many basic channels do they have, compared to TMN's 7 (and when did MPIX1 and MPIX2 start running different programming than each other; I only noticed that one this morning!). How much VOD material does MC have?

Nick

·
Registered
674 Posts
MPIX and MPIX2 (now Mescape) started different programming Jan 1, 2005.

For me with the HD PVR it dosn;t make much of a differnce since I canrecord what I want/when I wantt and watch it at my convience. As far asI can tell MC is heavily repeating contnet to fill that 24hrs everyday.

Looking at the schedule I see somthing in Primetime everynight till the end of the month

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless TMN comes out gangbusters for February they will be hard-pressed to come anywhere close to what MC offers (they even have the February lineup to download - link at top of page). Their HD lineup rocks! I am guessing it is all true HD, I have no idea. But nevertheless, this is some impressive programming in that there is no down time. You turn on your HD station and there is something playing.

Perhaps I see things differently. If I'm paying premium prices to Rogers, I expect them to offer the best product possible. In my opinion they can do way better to serve their HD customers with regards to the TMN situation.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Haven't seen TMN and even though MC-HD isn't showing alot of 'recent'movies or 5.1 movies, I gotta say they have a winner. Excellent service.

·
Registered
669 Posts
tommy99 said:
Unless TMN comes out gangbusters for February they will be hard-pressed to come anywhere close to what MC offers.
...TMN has released their February HD sched....certainly not 24/7 HD like the new Movie Central HD (on Shaw+ StarChoice only)...GRRRR

You can find the Feb TMN HD PDF in the "next months PDF schedule" section of this webpage www.themovienetwork.ca/programming/hd.php

...It seems that the "West is Best" for HD!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes that FEB HD schedule is a classic example of what I was talking about.
When I look At it I look at it from 7PM through to 9PM every day, What do I see Second rate B movies in prime time and HBO series shows, any fairly new release seems to be scheduled at good only Knows what times throughout the month with maybe only one primetime showing slot during the month.
In My opinion I think there scheduling managers have there heads stuck somewhere where they can't see the light of the Day. :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is the response I received from TMN when asked about the lack of HDTV coming from them.

At this time we guarantee one (usually many more) movies a month in HDTV format. This is a new technology that The Movie Network has invested in and we are in the process of integrating it onto our Network. As each month goes by our inventory of HD titles will continue to grow. We are also awaiting full participation from studios and distributors to allow us to bring more of these features onto the network. Our HDTV schedule always coincides with the schedule for our "standard format" films. What this means is, if a film we have scheduled during the prime time hour that is not available in HDTV, we obviously won't be airing it on the HD channel. We are currently in negotiations to have an increased number of HDTV films on the channel, but I can't confirm the details at this time. Regardless, I have forwarded your comments to our programming department for review and consideration.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I guess we'll have to "whine" to TMN to try and get more HD movies...;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Gee That reply is halarious, Digitaldissapointment It,s excatlly the same form reply that I got 2 months ago when I complained. LOL
Some things never Change :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
It's probably the same one I got a couple of years ago. :(

They are getting better. For a while it was only 1-2 new movies a month. Very recently, it's more like 5-10 new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts