Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking that since I need to adjust my dish alignment anyway, I might as well try moving the dish to a better location that would have some shelter from snow this winter under the eaves, and be further away from future blockage by trees or neighbouring construction.

But looking at the "Universal" mounting system that came with my 60cm elliptical dish, it appears to me that this mount is far from universal. It looks like the only vertical mounting option it can support is on a south-facing wall (not an option for me because of trees). If I try to mount it on an east-facing vertical wall or chimney (so the dish can look to the southeast from here in Vancouver), the vertical end of the mounting post will only be about 8 inches out from the wall, which is not enough to allow the elliptical dish to be turned to face far enough southward.

That seems like an odd design limitation. Am I missing something? Did Starchoice/Shaw assume that all wall-mounted installations would be on a south-facing wall? Is a different vertical arm piece needed?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Shaw warns you about this limitation in Step 2, Page 4 of their dish installation guide. Their solution is to "choose an alternate location".

In the US I've seen "L" type mounts (with American provider dishes) that extend out away from the wall, but I'm not sure if they're available in Canada. If you can find one, make sure the pipe outside diameter is 2" at the point that the dish bracket mates with the mast.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Have you thought of using a tripod? Try google search for satellite mounts.
My neighbour had a similar situation, and I found some old tubing from a trampoline at the dump, and made a longer arm, almost six feet long, off the east side of the building, around the eve, and attached to the fascia near the peak of the roof to stabilize it. We had to pick that point to clear trees in his yard. We just used the mount that came with the dish.
I have also heard of people getting exhaust pipe and having it bent, but that costs money.
I believe the diameter is 1.625 inches.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I can make an extension to use the existing dish mount if I have to, but I'm just surprised that the the "universal" mount doesn't take into account mounting on a side wall. It would have been easy enough to make that possible, and it must be a fairly common requirement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
and it must be a fairly common requirement
That's probably why Shaw put the warning in a big, fat, highlighted box in the instruction sheet; they knew people were gonna run into this.

But, in Shaw's defense, other mounts that are referred to as "universal" have roughly the same configuration as theirs. I think the term "universal" means it can be mounted horizontally, vertically, or on a roof of any pitch, but that's it.

I've even seen mounts in the shape of a "J" that attach to the underside of the fascia or the eve overhang, but I bet they're a "special order". And, as dirtroad pointed out, they need angle braces for stability.

I will re-iterate that the mast must ultimately be 2" OD to accept the Shaw mount currently in use. There is very little slack in the azimuth clamp, and the dish fits VERY snugly, even with the clamp loose. I once tried to mate the Shaw dish to a 1-3/4" OD mast, but was unable to torque the clamp down sufficiently to make it stable.

Another option is to mount the dish on the ground using a concrete slab and the universal mount. It has obvious drawbacks, but you can place it where you get the best line of sight, mount it as high or as low as you want, and you don't need a ladder to aim/adjust it. One guy in our neighborhood bought one of those decorative fake boulders to cover it, with just enough of the dish showing to allow the signal to hit the dish. It kept the HOA happy. Of course, in colder areas, this might not be an option due to frost action, but there are obviously work-arounds to this aspect of it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I guess I can make an extension to use the existing dish mount if I have to, but I'm just surprised that the the "universal" mount doesn't take into account mounting on a side wall. It would have been easy enough to make that possible, and it must be a fairly common requirement.
I've had that problem too. A guy gave me his Shaw Direct dish for my cabin after he went back to Cable and he had a longer arm made for it with exhaust pipe at a muffler shop. Most dishes seem to use the exact same mount arm so I don't know why they don't have an optional longer reach mounting arm available to solve this problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To make the existing arm usable for this purpose, all they would need to add to the design is an extra 45 deg rotation option on the skew adjustment. That would allow the existing arm to go straight out from the wall with enough stand-off distance for the 60 cm dish, but with the bit at the end bent up at an angle instead of being vertical (let's say around 45 deg, although I haven't measured it). Turn the skew adjustment to allow the dish to slide on to the arm in the normal horizontal orientation, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, today I saw someone with the 60cm elliptical dish mounted on the east wall of their house using the same universal mount I have. They seem to have done it using exactly the scheme I suggested above: the pipe goes almost straight out from the wall, and the bent piece at the end is at an angle rather than being vertical. They have apparently successfully compensated for the non-vertical angle using the skew adjustment of the dish as far as I can tell from a distance. So maybe it does have enough range of skew adjustment to do that! It probably helps that the required dish skew is in the right direction. I'll have to take a close look at the skew adjustment to see how this is possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Indeed the skew adjustment has +/- 50 deg of range on the dial, and only about 30 deg is needed to bring the dish into the correct skew alignment on the angled pipe for the eastern wall mount. It will just make alignment a bit tricky since the azimuth and skew adjustments will interact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts