Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a C2 & C5 that I use indoors, as I'm in a condo with no balcony. It looks like I could fit my C2 inside the C5. I could attach the C2 to the C5 with some plastic ties. What would happen if I did this? Anyone?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
No, I wouldnt do that. I think you will distort both antennas, resulting in big losses of gain. Separate them both by a good 2 feet and join them using a UVSJ.

I think ADtech will back me up on this.

Of course you could try it and report the results. Right or Wrong real life results are always welcome. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I do know that our designer modeled that idea during the C5 development. I don't have any particulars, but if he rejected it then it was due to his analysis that it was detrimental to the design..

I have no idea if it will work or how adverse the interaction might be. My guess (and that's all it is) is that if you're not in a challenging situation, it probably won't screw things up too badly.

I don't know. If you want to try it and let everyone know, I'm sure it would be appreciated by all.

Now that we have our new C2v available (at least south of the border), we now have very predictable VHF performance in a combo antenna that's much smaller than the C2/C5 combo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, I tried this out.

It only took a couple of minutes.

I had mixed results. I lost a bunch of Buffalo stations (not including the sub-stations), 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.1, 7.1, 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 23, 29.1, 29.2, 49.1, 49.2. All Toronto and Hamilton Stations came in just fine, as did the other Buffalo. It was a bit too much for me to give up, so I have reverted back to my original setup. It was nice, though to have the two combined together and I was able to hide them so they couldn't be seen within the room.

In other news, once I reverted back I still lost the Buffalo stations. I'll try and figure out what to do about that to fix it.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
and I was able to hide them so they couldn't be seen within the room.
Eww, I didnt realize you had them in a room. To help hide in minimum floor space, you could go upward using a mast and a stand, and then hide them behind a curtain. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to worry 300. The CS5 is hidden behind a screen, facing out the window. The CS2 is mounted to the top of the screen that's hiding the CS5 and it's really not that obtrusive! Thanks for caring, though!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The CS5 is hidden behind a screen, facing out the window. The CS2 is mounted to the top of the screen that's hiding the CS5 and it's really not that obtrusive
If the screening is aluminum, that can really knock down the gain. Unfortunately, the aluminum screen frame can also distort the gain and the patterns even with fiberglass screening. I havent seen any plastic/fiberglass screen frames yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No 300. It's a decorative screen. Like a room divider. It's bamboo and some kind of metal, maybe wrought iron. I don't think it has an effect on my signals, it never has as far as I know. There seems to be issues with Buffalo signals tonight due to tropo.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
No 300. It's a decorative screen. Like a room divider. It's bamboo and some kind of metal, maybe wrought iron.
Oh, OK, heh. The iron, if its short pieces, like less than 3" for each piece spaced a couple or more inches apart, will have little to no effect. If its more than 4", it could have an effect on uhf. If its more than 12 inches, it could have an effect on uhf and vhf.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm wondering now, that the issues I had losing the Buffalo stations is a result of atmospheric conditions tonight. I have been reading posts in other threads by people in Toronto, Mississauga and Oakville who have lost all their Buffalo stations tonight. I'm wondering if I should try it again on a better day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts