Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

We just switched the the MTS Ultimate TV package, love the DVR, but I hate the Guide feature, it is superimposed upon the channel you are watching and it is difficult to see the guide. Is there a way to change the back ground from transparent to opaque?

Have asked MTS, they don't have a clue if it can be done. I understand the the box runs on either Windows CE or a version of Linux, so there must be a way to change the background.

Any ideas?

Eye strained viewer.

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Welcome Tankman62,

MTS Ultimate TV uses Microsoft Mediaroom 2.0 running on Windows CE 5. The transparency of the guide is a feature of the Mediaroom software and there isn't a way for the end user to adjust that. Most people get used to it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, I know a few people and we all hate it. Can anybody change that transparent background for a solid mono colour one? This idea that one has to get used to poor service is hog wash!

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Quadro is one of the few telcos in Canada that doesn't use Mediaroom software for TV. Almost all the others now use Mediaroom - Telus, Sasktel, MTS, Thunder Bay Tel., Bell (Fibe TV), and Aliant.

The transparent menu system is a key design feature of Mediaroom. Here's a description:

"whole home DVR, which allows for watching and recording up to four streams on any TV in the home with just one DVR, a large selection of HD channels and HD On Demand content, a sleek and user-friendly transparent menu system so you never miss what you are watching as you scroll through the guide, and live picture-in-picture preview so you see what's on other networks before changing the channel."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
VIP1216

What a nice bundle of garbage, I as the user must be allowed to turn of a feature if I don't like it. This is not the Soviet Union where you have to accept what is being offered. We are just supposed to sit there and passively accept the drivel that eye strain is a plus, that induced headaches are a plus!

Utter drivel! If there is no way to change the back ground then I will just say good bye to the unit. We are the consumer, we have the right to have systems that are pleasant to use.

We must learn not to be sheepeople!

If those people jump off a bridge, should the rest of us also?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm sure it's probably been brought up, but I'll send in a suggestion to see if it can become an option. I've personally heard the same complaint from some customers.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Utter drivel! If there is no way to change the back ground then I will just say good bye to the unit. We are the consumer, we have the right to have systems that are pleasant to use.

We must learn not to be sheepeople!

If those people jump off a bridge, should the rest of us also?
Really? All of that over a transparent background to a guide?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes

What is so funny about dropping a service that will not listen to my request. I am paying money for a service, I expect that I will have an option. With technology today this is a trivial matter, for the ability to change the background from transparent to opaque is not a big deal. If the software is so poorly written that this is impossible, then Microsoft strikes again.

Do you just accept what ever drivel the phone company, power company, government tell you is the truth?

Tankman

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'd love to have a PVR function on my home phone line... but they don't offer it, so I don't get angry about it.

It just seems like such a trivial thing to get upset over, that's all...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the transparent background. It's a huge step up from the Classic TV guide. No eye strain at all. The family doesn't mind it either as they can still watch what's going on as I'm flipping through the guide.

To each their own, I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
757 Posts
Off the top of my head, it looks like when that picture was taken, the STB was on an unsubscribed channel or something.

I forget, though, when you're in the Menu or recorded TV listings, is it a black background too?

:)

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
When I want to take a screenshot of the menu system or guide, I tune to an unsubscribed channel so I get a black background, since the channel info is irrelevant. For everyday viewing I like to see the picture through the transparent menus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blank channel

Oh what a wonderful idea tune into a channel that shows nothing to use the guide.:rolleyes:

That is like pulling into a gas station that doesn't sell gas to fill your tires with air.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
ok guy you are really taking it too far. i really hope your joking that a see thru guide makes you this upset. you should look in the yellow pages and get yourself some help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This would almost be funny if it wasn't so bizarre and over the top. I have never heard anybody complain about the transparent guide. If that alone is enough to make somebody go to a different provider then good riddance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What is so funny about dropping a service that will not listen to my request. I am paying money for a service, I expect that I will have an option. With technology today this is a trivial matter, for the ability to change the background from transparent to opaque is not a big deal. If the software is so poorly written that this is impossible, then Microsoft strikes again.

Do you just accept what ever drivel the phone company, power company, government tell you is the truth?

Tankman
Sorry Tankman, but you sound like this guy.
(Warning, link contains NSFW language.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts