Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VIP 1216 is the HD PVR used by BES. The following is a brief overview from the Motorola site along with some useful links.

Use this thread to discuss the Set top box, its operation and any difficulties you are encountering with it.

The VIP1216 is a compact, superior, high definition television IP set-top with a built-in hard disk drive for DVR functionality. The VIP1216 also supports standard definition high-quality digital video.

Its two-way IP capability allows it to be used with multiple interactive applications, including broadcast TV, time-shifted TV, multicast, and VOD, and it is fully compliant with Microsoft Mediaroom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand that the Microsoft integration is being or already has been removed. Didn't work for video, anyway, so I hadn't really been using it.

It would be good to know if this device is hackable, or if there's an easy way to extend it in interesting ways. I'm especially looking for a way to play content off a USB stick or networked device.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hard Drive upgrade

Has anyone done a hard drive upgrade? I'm always having to delete stuff off the PVR. I'd like a 500Gb. I know it's an IDE interface in there, but I'm sure those IDE-->SATA connectors would work too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd think it would be able to support bigger drives but the issue could be whether the box has drivers for that drive so i'd try it with a drive you already have before buying a new one for this purpose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just signed up recently with BES and I have not been setup yet.My one question about the Bes setup.
My sony receiver is a few years old and does not support hdmi.Right now I have a rogers hdpvr.The rogers box is connected to the tv via hdmi and the reciever via optical.This is so I will receive a 5.1 signal.I have to enable the optical output, hdmi output in the roger (hdpvr)settings.Will I be able to use the same setup setup with the VIP1216. If I pass the audio signal thru the tv via hdmi I will lose the 5.1 signal.This took me awhile to figure out, when I was setting up the rogers box.I hope this question is not to confusing due to the fact the Sony receiver is a few years old and does not support hdmi.I hope its not time to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
17,518 Posts
accat13, that should work just fine. HDMI to TV, optical to receiver, no special configuration required.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes - you plug a USB cable or a device that has a standard USB connector on it into port. :D LOL!

To be more specific as to how the USB port on the front of the STB can be used: You can charge your cell phone, iPod, BlackBerry, etc from it. Other than that, that's about it. I heard from somewhere that someone got a keyboard to work with it and was able to use it for text input in the search function - but I dont' know if this was someone on Bell, or someone on MTS, or UVerse(AT&T). I think it's pretty much useless for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts