Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't hear of many Blackberry users needing a bumper to get proper signal on their phones. This is Apple's mess, and they need to stop implicating other manufacturers. I'd totally support a lawsuit back at Apple so they can get a taste of their own medicine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The funniest part about this is that there are more people that do NOT own an iPhone 4 complaining about reception issues, than people that DO own them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The RIM media release was more interesting for what it did not say than for what it did. RIM was very careful not to deny its products may have similar weaknesses to the i4. What RIM did say was that it was unfair of Apple to draw it into the debate (well unfair would be a matter of opinion, IMO), RIM has great engineers and scientists (no argument there, even from Apple), blah, blah, blah. but not a word arguing the degradation in signal Apple demonstrated doesn't occur or that this isn't a problem common to all smart phones.

The claim for HTC stated above (35 times less complaints) makes me wonder how they arrived at such a number. More important, how well publicized is HTC's complaints line compared to Apple Care?

Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see, for competitive reasons, the dropped-calls data for iPhones or its competitors by carrier (Canadian or otherwise) for an objective and real-world assessment.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
35 times less complaints at probably 50 times less sales is not a number to brag about. :)
That's a joke, of course, I can't imagine how HTC would have access to such sensitive statistics about their competitor. It's all trash talk at this point, that Steve Jobs kind of deserves by involving real names of third parties in his "defense" speech.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The cell industry is loving antennagate. They had to respond of course, just as Apple would have responded if a competitor pulled the same stunt.

It's just sad that the public has been manipulated so much that Apple felt they needed to address it like they did. It's amazing how many newspapers, blogs, and TV shows were publicizing the problem, yet none were showing that it happens on most phones, or saying how non-widespread the problem actually is.

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
The difference between iPhone 4 and the others is that Consumer Reports shows that if you touch the wrong spot on the iPhone 4 with even one finger you have a problem. With the others you need to use a "death grip".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Simple, don't touch that spot with your finger.

My car won't operate properly if I submerge it in water, should I go complain to the manufacturer?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lol, you work for apple?
This seems to be the go-to response whenever anyone writes anything that doesn't bash Apple...

There are VERY FEW people who have had actual problems with the iPhone 4 - as in dropping calls or affecting their use of the phone. Yet everyone seems to be an expert on antennagate, and are quick to bash the phone. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
There are VERY FEW people who have had actual problems with the iPhone 4 - as in dropping calls or affecting their use of the phone. Yet everyone seems to be an expert on antennagate, and are quick to bash the phone. I just don't get it.
I get it. High profile companies (and subjects in general) attract a lot of bashing. The 2 major rewards - first, people tend to pay more attention to a biased opinion about Apple rather than a fair opinion about Huwaei. Also, it creates the idea that you know the subject - kind of like bashing Microsoft is supposed to make people think you are good at IT. ;)
Anyway, overall, it's good for Apple - if you have become the favourite target of internet bloggers and forum experts, it means you are doing well.

·
Banned
328 Posts
^^^^ Well your brutal analogy and simply stating not to put your finger on that spot was very similar to Apple's response. Even Apple lovers have to admit that they didn't exactly deal with the situation very elegantly.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Simple, don't touch that spot with your finger.

My car won't operate properly if I submerge it in water, should I go complain to the manufacturer?
I'm left-handed. My palm goes there to hold the phone. And all phones for that matter.

And I fail to see what that has to do with putting a car in water.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not sure submerging your car in water constitutes normal use, whereas most of us hold our phones in the palm of our hands.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Even Apple lovers have to admit that they didn't exactly deal with the situation very elegantly.
That in my opinion is the real problem here, not the fact that the phone drops calls. Every cell phone drops calls, not just smartphones. You don't even have to be tech savvy to know that.

Heck, I even have one (by a Canadian manufacturer that will remain nameless) :) that has dropped a call while sitting on my wood kitchen table with nothing touching it. That and the fact that the closest Rogers cell tower is about 1/2 km away.:p

Steve Jobs coming on stage and basically saying "Yeah, but their phones are crappy too" is reminiscent of an arguement a child would use to try and get out of trouble. It would have been much better if he had come out and simply said "Ooops. Our fault, here is a free bumper to help mitigate the problem".

·
Registered
28 Posts
The point I was trying to make is that my car will not operate under all conditions, why would I expect a phone to as well?

In addition, there is something that allows humans to thrive in adverse circumstances... adaptability!

While holding a phone may not constitute an 'adverse circumstance', I'm sure you can work around death gripping your phone.

I, personally, use my fingers to hold a phone.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If people were dipping their iPhone in water, then your analogy would be valid... but to not operate because I'm left handed... I still don't see how driving a car into water relates.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts