Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email today from Rogers NB saying that the guide on the Motorola Nextbox 2 will be finally look like a 21st century product. No date, just said soon. The screenshots look a lot like the Nextbox 3 guides used in Ontario. Finally!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The current guide is old and tired looking. I have had issues with the system, like for example channels I add or remove from my preferences list show up or don't show up, when I have specified otherwise.

For example, on one of my boxes, I cannot for the life of me get SN1 to remain on the guide... I have to manually add it every time. I have literally added it 100x or more. And another box, it won't let me customize the channels on the guide, even though it pretends to go through the configure process. So frustrating. It just shows every possible channel.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Yeah, the Navigatr firmware was an abomination for PVRs since July 2015. There is an update coming through now in October which may address some of the huge number of shortfalls. Search for Navigatr in this or the Rogers forums and you'll not find a single positive post on the firmware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also received noticed a few months ago that the PVR software will be changing. The only thing I have noticed since is that it now takes even longer to change channels, resulting in my TV constantly showing the "no connection" graphic every time I change a channel. I have 2 x DCX-3400-M's and 1 x DCX-700. I haven't been bothered to switch to FIBE yet, but when I visit friends who have it, I can almost channel surf like the old days it's so fast. I hate guides. If / when we get the new software, hopefully channel changing will be just as fast.

Some how I'm starting to feel that Rogers sent out the notice for Ontario customers only and we're stuck with what we have down here. Is there a reason why they are still using the Motorola equipment down here? I read once before it was due to the infrastructure in place by the previous cable systems. Could never understand why different areas had different boxes and available services. Internet and home phone seem to be the same, just the TV.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Rogers supposedly started the rollout of the new firmware in Newfoundland about 4 weeks ago. NB was supposed to follow, but so far it has not according to the Rogers' forum discussions:

We're improving your TV experience in Atlantic Can... - Rogers Community

The firmware is not Navigatr by the looks of things. Perhaps they found issues with the initial rollout and have stopped it until the issues are resolved (conjecture on my part).

And yes, it would cost way too much money to change out the Motorola-compatible equipment at the head ends, etc. Since Cable TV delivery is changing - to IPTV, that will be the next more-likely step.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
The following was posted over on Rogers' Forum:

Thank you for your patience. I see the guide was upgraded on the DCT models both in New Brunswick and Newfoundland. I believe you may be having boxes from DCX models. At this moment, the deployment timeline for the DCX models is not available.
If the above is true, I'm surprised there has been no feedback here, or on Rogers' forum regarding the new firmware.

Link: Re: TV Guide update - Atlantic Region - Page 6 - Rogers Community

·
Registered
682 Posts
i saw a couple dcx3400s today that had the updated GUI look. Owners told me it was old school just yesterday, so it appears the rollout is active in NL as of today.

It's still the same half crap look to be honest. Reminds me of when Bell upgraded their stuff from blue to black.

It is however much better than what it was, just, people shouldn't expect it to look like the actual Nextbox's or fancy GUIs that Fios has, as example.

The lower third channel info box is much improved, I'll say that. heh

·
Registered
682 Posts
Actually. I got another extended look and a chance to compare against the old styling, and they've done a really good job at enhancing the visual appearance of the old motorola boxes.

Aside from the change to a flat black/blue-ish coloring, the guide is now a full page guide showing 7 channel rows and 2.5 hours of programming. The DVR listing is now wider and much easier to read.

It appears they've changed to a proper 16:9 ratio for the GUI and not simply a 4:3 stretched.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts