Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So let the posturing begin: is that a little or a lot?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Given the price point and nascent ecosphere, i think it's a good showing. Shows there's a reasonably healthy appetite for Android powered tablets.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems low to me considering it was the first 3.0 tablet.

Once more tablets are on the markets, should be interested to see what 3.0 tablet dominates.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It seemed low to me but it wasn't on sale for the whole quarter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That 250,000 is boxes shipped to retail. Not sell through.

I'm more interested to see if RIM manages to out sell Motorola. If that happens in a shorter amount of time it lends credence to the idea that a majority of android sales are because it's the cheapest smart phone, and this doesn't translate into tablet sales because tablets are almost all sold unsubsidized.

RIM and Apple have a history of being able to sell people phones at full price, the only person to try that with Android phones was Google and they abandoned the process.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based upon my prior readings, RIM sold much more than forecast and probably easily beat these numbers.

That being said, I would prefer to hear the numbers from RIM directly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Actually, I would expect the Playbook to significantly outsell the Xoom in the beginning for two reasons: First RIM has the customer base to sell to and second, there are lots of Android tablets coming out so the Xoom is not that unique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts