Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorola Canada will be bringing the Milestone - the Canadian version of the Droid - to Canada in 2010.

Running on the Android 2.0 operating system, the Motorola Milestone hardware features include a 3.7" 16:9 touch-screen, full QWERTY slider keyboard, 5 megapixel camera, stereo Bluetooth, and built-in GPS.

Additional software features include music and video playback, email, Flash 10-ready web browsing and Google services such as the Android market, Google search, Gmail, Maps, Google Talk and Youtube.

The Motorola Milestone will be available in Canada on Telus in early 2010.

(Motorola obviously did not announce how exactly it was different from the U.S. version)

·
Super Moderator
18,638 Posts
The Droid is CDMA and the Milestone is GSM/HSPA. I think I saw the Milestone is supposed to be available in several other countries as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is the phone I really, really want but on the Bell network. I wonder how much the phone price will be?

BTW, the differences between the Droid and the Milestone appear to be:

*the quad-band GSM/UMTS version is named Motorola Milestone.
*it will ship with multitouch input support enabled.
*it will have Motorola's MOTONAV in place of Droid's US-only Google Maps Navigation
*and a smaller bundled 8GB MicroSDHC card.

All courtesy of Wikipedia and CNET.
http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-10389778-251.html

I'm not pleased with the GPS turn by turn being Motorola's software rather than Google's but I'm sure there's an Android App Store for that! lol

·
Banned
328 Posts
I wish I knew this before getting the HTC Hero last week. Oh well, I do love my Hero :) and hope it gets the Eclair update soon (Android 2.0).

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wish I knew this before getting the HTC Hero last week. Oh well, I do love my Hero :) and hope it gets the Eclair update soon (Android 2.0).
I wouldnt worry.. there's several people in the US looking for the Hero with 850/1900 3G bands, and they arent available anywhere but telus right now.. so it does have some value if you want to sell it when the milestone comes

·
Registered
84 Posts
..too bad no one has any inside info for a release date! I was thinking about getting an iphone or a Storm2, but I think this device will be awesome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the exact date this would be available in Canada (it came out pretty early in the US), I was really hoping to get a couple of these phones before I leave Canada in the first week of Jan.

But looks like that may not happen with the earliest date set to "early" next year which would be too 'late' for me. :mad:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyone have news on the Milestone front? I saw a rumoured date of January 26th but ... ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm being told by telus reps that it will be released mid to late February. Their retailers have dummy phones in their stores so it must be close.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Telus is also running a promo banner on their website (under 3G+ Smartphones).

I can't wait to get one. I'm still using my 5 year old Nokia phone. It's unbreakable.

·
Banned
328 Posts
TELUS’ CFO said Milestone is launching next week and “There’s a coolness about it”
By Rob Avison ⋅ February 12, 2010

Even though there has been several rumoured dates about the upcoming and highly anticipated Motorola Milestone… Bloomberg confirmed the device will be launching next week, so you can bet February 18th will be a great day in Canada. Rumoured pricing is targeted to be $199 on a 3-year contract and $549 outright.

Full Story:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/02/12/telus-cfo-bob-mcfarlane-on-the-milestone-there%E2%80%99s-a-coolness-about-it/

TELUS Motorola Milestone Video Review:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/02/11/telus-motorola-milestone-review/

·
Registered
184 Posts
which begs the question ...

how easily came I purchase this phone and port it over to Bell rather than switch to Telus?

·
Registered
157 Posts
^^^ I am planning on doing the same thing. The phone will definitely work on Bell once carrier unlocked. I am going to sit tight until someone more adventuresome than myself confirms that it can be unlocked as $600 is a bit steep for a paper weight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No doubt a very nice Android phone. However, I'll be waiting to see how well the Android OS will be supported. Anyone have a clue as to the Android version installed, and/or when Telus will offer the Android 2.1 upgrade?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also says that in Post #1.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts