Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Kimbo: When I set the TV to 16:9 , 1080i , and 4:3 (480i) stretch as you suggest most channels fill the screen correctly except for some like CNN which evidently doesn't come in in HD. I need to use the TV remote and set the 'picture' button to zoom 1 to fill the screen vertically for these channels. However, if I leave it on zoom 1 the other channels 'overfill' the screen vertically . Evidently there is no control for this that will automatically regulate the signal for all channels and all signals. The settings combinations available for the picture are many . For certain combinations there is no zoom control . I would like to know what combination is optimum. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
32 Posts
I can only offer you suggestions - based on the 'HD' televisions in my home.

On our Sharp LCD 'HD' television:

- set the DCX700 4:3 option to 480i

- set any one of the television's none HD channels
to "S. Stretch" [using the television's remote]

some channels will still have those 'annoying' bars above and below the viewing area
- but the picture area will still seem much larger.

On our Toshiba LCD 'HD' television:

- set the DCX700 4:3 option to 480i

- set any one of the television's none HD channels
to "Theater Mode 1" [using the television's remote]

some channels may lose a small amount of information above and below the viewing area
- but almost every 480i channel will 'fill' the television screen.

Note: these setting will have no affect any of the Toshiba's "QAM" [Digital] channels.
[But a minor change in the Toshiba's "Menu Options" can fix this problem.]

Hope That Helps !!!

:cool:

·
Banned
32 Posts
My father (who is 90 yrs old) loves his 200/20 Series Toshiba HDTV television.

Toshiba's 200/20 Series revitalization of their "Black Screen Technology"
[especially when viewed in Toshiba's "Theater Mode 1" picture size setting]

It is everything that a senior citizen really 'needs' (wants) here !!!

Just A (Personal) Thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Kimbo. I think there is a problem with the COGECO box and they are sending me another one to try. I am not clear about the settings you can select from the box. The TV type settings you can opt for are 16:9 , letterbox,4:3 and pan scan. On HDMI output you can pick 1080i,720p or 480p. The 480 override offers: off, 480i, 480p and stretch. I don't get why you would ever select anything other than 1080i when a HDMI cable is used . And why would you ever need anything but stretch if the incoming signal isn't coming in at 16:9 ? Very confusing and the COGECO tech people don't seem to have these answers. Maybe there is a source on line that can explain all this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For a flat screen 16:9 TV, then TV type should (obviously) be 16:9. The other settings are for CRT 4:3 screens. The HDMI or YPbPr (component) output should be set to 1080i if your TV supports it, or 720p if it's a smaller LCD (32" or less) or a plasma that only supports 720p.

As for 4:3 override, that's a matter of personal choice. I don't like the distortion caused by stretching a 4:3 SD picture to the full screen width (although the Toshiba TheaterWide 1 setting stretches only the edges of the picture, leaving the middle undistorted). If you can tolerate the distortion, then by all means use the Stretch setting.

I prefer to use 480i or Off, which leaves black side bars on an SD picture. However, if an SD channel is broadcasting a 16:9 letterboxed picture (e.g. CNN, UK programs, or many comedy or drama shows made in HD), resulting in black borders on all 4 sides, I can use my TV aspect settings (e.g. Toshiba's TheaterWide 2) to zoom the picture to fill the screen. My Samsung TV's aspect control works a bit differently, but it can perform basically the same functions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Martins: That is very helpful information . I will let you know how I make out when I get the new box from COGECO. Should be on Friday .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a replacement box - a Pace this time- but the results are pretty much the same. My guess is the incoming signals are not being properly processed by my TV set- a 5 year old Samsung 27" . When the set is on 16:9 the high def. signals don't fill the screen vertically. When I activate the TV zoom feature it overfills. As far as I know there is no way to reduce the amount of zoom. I guess the answer is a new TV. Otherwise this is a great TV with excellent picture and sound. Any other ideas ? Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Interesting problem.I have 2 dcx700's and 1 dcx3400 with 2 samsungs and 1 toshiba.my 700's are set to 480p and they fill the screens.Except for the ocasional bars on the top and bottom.One is on a samsung that is set to 16-9 and the other to the toshiba that is set to full.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks ta Guy: My PACE DC550D set box will only allow my TV to zoom if the box is set to 480p . Any other setting like 1080- etc will only allow my TV to show up in 4:3 or 16:9 . A month ago with the 700 box I didn't have these screen-filling issues. I think something has changed with the channel signal codes since analog ended. Just a guess. Anyway I will need to try a new TV and see what happens. I would be content with what I have if I could reduce the zoom function. I don't know of any way to do that on the TV set. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only time you should get black bands at top and bottom when viewing an HD source on a 16:9 (1.78:1) HDTV is with a theatrical movie that has a wider aspect ratio, e.g. 2.39:1, which is the most common ratio for cinematic projection. If you use the TV zoom function it will cut off the edges of the picture. Regular TV transmissions in 16:9 should fill the screen if the channel box and TV are set correctly.

BTW I have two Motorola DCT6200 non-PVR HD boxes, which I hope to swap for the smaller digital boxes when my area goes all-digital.

If you are looking for a new TV, check out the LED models. They are slightly more expensive but much lighter and thinner, and can be hung on a wall like a picture. Prices are going down all the time; I paid $3,000 for a 46" Samsung LCD in December 2006, and it was a bargain at that time! Now it's a quarter of that price.

·
Banned
32 Posts
I am guessing that certain people's problems HERE !!!
[Are not those of their 'Cogeco' Service Provider.]

Cogeco provides a number of HDTV 'enabled' channels
here - as well as many none HDTV 'enabled' channels.

Unless you are willing to "Pay More" for the privilege
of adding those Bell/Rogers 'Specialty' HDTV channels
to your Cogeco HDTV 'Repertoire' - Shut The F*CK UP.

Other than making TVO's HD channel "True HD"
- I have no complaints here.

OK, adding Bell's "Space Channel" would also be nice
[but that is just to 'tickle' my own "fancy" here.]

:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did anyone notice the holes under the 700's for wall mounting.I hung my son's box behind his 32" and the remote works a1.Kind of cool,now his buddies say where's your cable box,it's gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The USB port on the DCX700 is not enabled. You cannot use it for external storage at this time (the same applies for the firewire and ethernet ports).
DavidT,

How did you confirm that the Firewire, Ethernet and USB were "disabled"?

Did you go into the diagnostic screens (remote 'CBL' then 'PWR' then 'OK' and then arrow down to option '4' then 'OK') and it showed the port status as "NO"?

My experience with Cogeco is that this can be hit and miss and is a shop setting and not a firmware based setting, such that an enabled firewire port will remain enabled even if Cogeco pushes a firmware update to your box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
questions

Hi folks,

Well, I pulled the trigger and had Cogeco come to my new place and install the HD Digital Basic, basic phone and basic internet package. The installer told me that the stb was a Motorola so I'm assuming that it's the DCX700. I really like the picture quality of the all the channels, SD and HD. I have 2 questions though.

1. I've got the HD Digital Basic package, so I'm only getting a small set of channels. Is there any way that I can hide the channels (that I'm not receiving) in the guide?

2. I notice sometimes when I tune to a non-HD channel I momentarily see a 'Watch in HD' icon. Is there some button on the remote or something that will take me to the HD version of the channel?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^ Second question first. :) The "OK" button takes you to the HD version when that highlighted icon appears. Note however, that the guide doesn't always highlight an HD version, so keep that in mind.

There is no known way of hiding unsubscribed channels in the guide. HOWEVER, you might get the same effect by defining favourites in your channel list.

Cameron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Cameron,

The Ok button works when I see the message. It would be more convenient if I could hide the channels that I don't get in the guide, but the Favorites list is a good alternative.

Thanks,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Guide

Had anybody noticed that the guide only seems to display in 4x3? Even off and HD channel, the guide has bars. The PQ is also quite poor on the guide. Am I missing something in setup?

·
Registered
4 Posts
On mine the usb port is enabled in the diagnostic screen but when i plug in usb harddrive nothing happens.

DavidT,

How did you confirm that the Firewire, Ethernet and USB were "disabled"?

Did you go into the diagnostic screens (remote 'CBL' then 'PWR' then 'OK' and then arrow down to option '4' then 'OK') and it showed the port status as "NO"?

My experience with Cogeco is that this can be hit and miss and is a shop setting and not a firmware based setting, such that an enabled firewire port will remain enabled even if Cogeco pushes a firmware update to your box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

EDIT : The issue is fixed. The firmware updated itself and then the TVGuide loaded. It took few hours but the DCX is working fine again. I can't believe that I got this DCX700 for 20$CDN and it is working :)

I purchased a used DCX700 from Kijiji. Before buying it, I confirmed that it was ok to transfer the DCX to my account and it was.

I plugged the DCX this morning and called Cogeco to activate it. I have an issue...I called the tech support, but I want your opinion. The channels are working fine, but I have no guide, menus or even info. I have no UI at all even when I change channels.

I called Cogeco Tech Support and they showed me how to get to the diagnostics screen. In D08 I should have a TVGUIDE loading as they say but I don't. I have a 32.32 LOADING. Doing some researches on Google revealed that there is a firmware to 32.32. I'm currently at 24.29. The Tech confirmed that I should be at 32.32. This is probably because the DCX hasn't been on Cogeco network for more than a year.

Is this the issue ? Do I have to wait for the new firmware to update completely ? How long can it take ? The girl from the Tech Support could not answer if it would take an hour or even a day. She told me to let the DCX open if I don't watch TV.

If tomorrow morning I don't have any tv guide, settings and info I'll give the Tech Support another call. But I was wondering what you guys are thinking about this issue.

Thanks !

Neo.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts