Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 6 month old DCX 700 is acting up. Anytime there is a power loss to the unit, it will not restart properly after power is restored. I am having to call Cogeco to re-set the box every time. None of my older Motorola 6416/6200 's have this problem. Anyone else have a similar experience? It may be time to get Cogeco to exchange it will still under warranty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When power is restored the 3 indicator lights go off and on repeatedly, paticularly the data indicator (re-loading the guide?). The power indicator will come on if you power up the unit, but it goes out as the box crashes and restarts over and over again. I left it alone for over two hours and upon power up it started the cycle of repeatedly crashing until I gave up and called for a reset from tech support. I understand that it may be defective, however I hope those of you that have this unit don't experience the same problem.

I would have considered a DCX 3400 if Cogeco had offered them (there seems to be only Pace DVR's available now). I have always had good fortune with Motorola STB's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered mine on Monday, and it got here today. (Wednesday) Loving it so far, sure the channel list is small, but over time i think it will grow. The box its self is very sleek. Can't wait to watch the leafs lose in HD. It will make my pain look so much more life like. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got a DCX700, hooked it up and the programming has been downloaded. My only problem is that the channel is not displayed on the box's front panel. I have gone into the "settings" and have set it so that the channel is supposed to be displayed.

Is this normal? If not, has anybody else encounterd this and have a fix?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've benn using the older remotes and they've changed the layout. The "settings" button is where the "info" button used to be and it's causing me grief. THey've also moved the "exit" button to a place where it's hard to get to and I use it all the time. Then they have these A,B,C and D buttons where they are easy to get to but they are unused. I guess I'll have to try programming the D button to be "exit" (exactly where it used to be).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you have any of the old remotes lying around, they will still work with the DCX700.

The revised layout does take some getting used to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Someone mentioned earlier about their box crashing and recycling. Mine started doing that yesterday. The guide would not work and every few minutes the box would shut off and then restart. The data light would flash. I called support and they said the box is defective. I wonder if it is overheating. I leave it on for long periods of time. I also wonder if this is a flaw in the machine because it sounds like I am not the only one that experienced this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem with Audio when Recording (DCX700)

I set mine to record a program (using Program Guide) and found it recorded video but no audio. After investigating I found that if the box is off and it turns itself on to record a program (to external VCR) it sends video only. Touching a menu button on the remote will send the audio as well. Called Cogeco and was told they get this complaint about once a week. CSR promised to have tech support call me to report a problem. Tech support never called. Anyone else experience this? Any solutions? I don't want to leave the box on and it will turn itself off after 4 hrs of inactivity anyway (which I like).

·
Registered
11 Posts
The DCX700, like every other Cogeco (and Rogers, and Bhell, and...) box, uses pretty much the same amount of power turned off as it does turned on. The difference is barely measurable. The only way to save money on power to these units is cut it. How they got Energy Star certified is beyond me.

That said, it is my understanding that the DCX700 has... uh... QA issues, and should be avoided.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem!

Our DCX700 has been working fine until now...all of a sudden neither the device will not recognize the cogeco remote or our universal remote when we press "guide" or change channels. The blue light flashes when we hit the button, but nothing appears on the screen to indicate the request was registered. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
32 Posts
I "luv" my Motorola DCX700 'STB' Decoder
[the Motorola 6xxx Series doesn't even come
close to the 1080i HDMI - that I have seen]

That said, the DCX700 has two 'known' problems:

The unit needs "lots of breathing room" (ventilation),

And, the Motorola DCX700 'Hates' smokers !!!
[I know this from a 'first hand' experience]

I too had these same problems that you speak of here.

My solution was to lower the decoder to 2 foot height
from the floor - and remove it from my stereo cabinet.

Since then, everything has been GREAT !!!

[except the last two Wednesdays - when Cogeco
(Burlington) has been 'updated' their HD bandwidth]

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
box setup

I,m new to this website so maybe I am posting on the wrong thread. Anyway I have COGECO cable service and use a DCX 700 STBox. All has been fine for months but two days ago I lost sound on four channels. The COGECO tech asked me to disconnect the box power plug and reset the various sound settings. It cleared the sound problem but now the picture doesn't fill the screen vertically on a few channels that were all OK before . Most others are fine. I have the TV settings set for 16:9 as usual . My box remote has an ASTERIX button but it doesn't seem to do anything. On my old remote I think this was a STRETCH button. Any ideas ? Thanks.

·
Banned
32 Posts
I think I know this problem - your STB has probably 'reset' its settings.

To check this:

- turn on your TV but, not the cable box
- press the Settings button on your cable box remote
- confirm that the 16:9 option is set to 1080i
- change the 4:3 option [should be 480i] to 'stretch'
- press the Settings button again (on the remote)
- turn on the cable box and all should be fine.

Hope that helps

21 - 40 of 61 Posts