Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think "any" drive will work.

I think you need a specific PVR type drive like the Western Digital AV-GP type drives. Do a search on replacing TIVO drives and you'll get a lot to read, more than trying to search on Eastlink or Rogers units. The key is to have a drive that writes data to the platters without doing the check sums on the writes like a regular computer type drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150

I see Western Digital has also released a new "Purple" drive for PVR's and similar security hardware. I'm not sure if they are any better.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=150

·
Registered
949 Posts
*any* SATA drive will work, but Pipeline HD drives are recommend. You don't need a 7200 RPM drive that is for sure. 1TB is the max for DCX3400, DCX35XX can utilize 4TB+.

I speak from personal experience upgrading many PVR.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A WD Black SATA 1TB drive with 64M cache and 7200 rpm did not work for me in an expansion drive. That's my personal experience.

·
Registered
309 Posts
so were moving back to eastlink after our 2 year promo with bell expired. but i cant find any info to if moca is still supported with these units. the store is telling us no but how can it go from supported to not supported would they have disabled it? can you re-activate it?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm sure the firmware still supports it, it is more of a question of if they will still come out to install the filters.

Chances are they are trying to move people to the Arris Gateway units. I'd call in and ask.

·
Registered
309 Posts
ive got the existing filters still in the house we had it before we moved to bell. i know the girl was wanting to try to get us on the arris one but i refuse to pay that much. esp when they gave us the pvr for free

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The old style Whole Home DVR system you had...is dead, as far as for "new" customers anyways. If you still had that setup and kept it, you could keep using it.

When we were with EL, we had it and upgraded to the Maestro system a year later after is was introduced. It was a much better solution, as in reliability and functionality. It wasn't that much more $ really. Mind you we were renting two DCX3400s and two DCX700s at the time.

Cogeco had a similair item here, using Pace boxes but it is no longer available (for new setups) and they keep pushing TiVo....like non-stop!:rolleyes:'

Loracweb brings up a good point. It may just work after all. I'd recommend installing everything yourself if possible. If they come over, I'm sure all those filters will be removed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I doubt they have different firmware, it is most likely enabled through the filters.

Cogeco's previous solution was hokey at best. Maestro is much better than DCX MOCA, but it can also be much more expensive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I know the Maestro is better but they were going to charge me 40$ more a month promo was different and i'm getting 2 of the 3400's for free for a year and then get one included with the bundle. I just got finished removing the filters from the existing lines once it gets installed will re-add them. well see how it works if it doesn't no big loss.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How many boxes will you have in total? Also, how many of each? $40 seems steep. Ours was just under $35 for 4 TVs before taxes. You don't need the "Premium" Maestro if that is what they are pushing...if they still have that.

On in unrelated note, I can't believe Cogeco still gives out DCT6400s.:(

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I realize now that your price is more because you would have gotten the regular DVRs free per month for a term as compared to my monthly charges for four boxes. ;)

I can't believe they wouldn't have some kind of promo for the Maestro system. You'd think they would be pushing folks towards it. Is it a sign of things to come?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Glancing over the EL site, when I still have my city set to Timmins, Whole Home DVR is no longer listed. If I set it greenshadow's location, it's still available.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts