Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone know if the DCX3200M with the new HD Guide will work well on a standard definition 27" CRT TV (4:3 format)? I was wondering if anyone has experience with this because I found a good deal on a used one and was thinking of buying it. Any help is much appreciated and I thank you guys in advance!
P.S.- I hope this is the right thread to post this.Please forgive a newbie if this is the wrong thread, thanks!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The 4:3 TV would have to have a composite input(single yellow RCA) for video and a Red and White RCA for audio (or just one of those for audio) as there is no RF output(Ch3/4).

There is a format setting in the settings menu for the aspect ratio of the TV you are using.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Jetranger! I read somewhere else that the new guide is only capable of displaying in a 16:9 format so on a 4:3 tv the guide would be "squished"(horizontally) and it would appear very small on the screen. Some additional info: thankfully my CRT TV has component,composite and S-video inputs so no RF is necessary in my case!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I don't have any old SD sets anymore to test it but I can imagine that could be the case. It may be time to pull the trigger and get into a widescreen HD set. You can get a reasonably sized one for a few hundred bucks and then you would get the full advantage of the 3200's HD. If you aren't looking to upgrade your tv then you are probably better off going with a DCT700.

Edit: The 3200 does have component outputs too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the response Jetranger! I was considering the 3200 because I planned on upgrading the t.v. in the future. I think I'll buy a used sd dct3080 pvr right now for only 30 bucks then later on I'll try to find a used HD pvr later on when I'm ready. The guide on the 3200 probably won't be very practical on a small old tv. Although the 3400 would work, there's no point of me buying one now when the prices are higher.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You can buy a 3400 used for quite a low price and they work fine on smaller Sd etc TV's. Where are you? Perhaps we can do a deal! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
DCX3200M...whats with the Offline/Online mode display box coming on all the time? It shows up about every 5 minutes, says "Box is offline"...I hit OK, then about 5 minutes later the "Online" message box shows up. It keeps doing this continuously. Any fix?

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shaw has never explained what's going on with these offline/online messages, although it seems clear that the 3200 and 3510 need constant communication with the Shaw mothership to do even basic functions.

Sometimes they'll say it's due to poor signal strength but at least in my case I know that's not the only possible cause because a tech already came to my house to confirm all good signal levels and good quality connections on all the coax

this week there is a firmware update where they are supposed to be implementing a less obtrusive notification no longer requiring user interaction. however, I don't think they're actually changing whatever is actually causing the offline condition (over the summer, at least a couple times they claimed to have fixed something on their server-side causing the messages, but they still seem to pop up - usually in bursts. I've seen several bursts in the past few days, those after a few months of no offline messages at all

the 3200 firwmare update for the less annoying notifications is going out tonight or tomorrow, I think. wait a few days and see if you notice a difference after the update. You can find more detailed schedule of the (long overdue) update on the Shaw forum site

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Does anyone know if the DCX3200M with the new HD Guide will work well on a standard definition 27" CRT TV (4:3 format)? I was wondering if anyone has experience with this because I found a good deal on a used one and was thinking of buying it. Any help is much appreciated and I thank you guys in advance!
P.S.- I hope this is the right thread to post this.Please forgive a newbie if this is the wrong thread, thanks!
The printing in the guide will be too small to read easily. The new guide is designed to work well with HD TV's, but not with older CRT sets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
PVR Playback Choppy

Hey folks

I notice that whenever I watch an HD Program that I recorded earlier in the day that the audio is 'very' choppy

I solved this problem by rebooting/plugging and unplugging the pvr

this solution works for a few weeks but after a few weeks the choppiness came back.

I'm getting tired of rebooting the pvr all the time every few weeks. Do any of you have solutions or suggestions?

Do you guys think the problem is the HDMI cord. Should i buy a new one?

I don't know if it matters but I believe my HD box is the Motorola dcx3200

thank guys

141 - 155 of 155 Posts