Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Cogeco Tech Services but had no reply so i am trying here.

Does anyone know if these models will work with Cogeco. I know that they will need to be programed with speific software, but i have not seen any posts that Cogeco users are using these models.

DCT 5100
DCT 6000

If this has been posted some where else i appologize

TIA

Kev

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kev: I am running a 6200 I got from ebay. The activation tech said he didn't think it would work, but it fired right up. I had done a new download so it was ready for Cogeco activation before calling. I've also got a 6208 running that came from ebay as well....

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is correct, the 6200 is HD only, no DVR. I got it because Cogeco in Kingston is running firmware version 7.07 and with that version firmware, the firewire outputs from the DVR's is corrupted and unrecordable(you can record it, but it drops out and pixelates constantly). For some reason, the 6200 with firmware version 7.07 does not have the corrupted firewire output and I've been able to tape HD to DVHS successfully.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm.. How do i find out what my firmware version is? I wanted to do the firewire trick with my newly acquired (i.e. rented) 6412 unit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just push "Menu" highlight "Setup", choose it, highlight "Cable Box", choose it, cursor down to "See Configuration" and push arrow right to see what you've got. It will show you your S/W Ver, as well as model, Firmware, etc....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks for replying.

could you tell me what your an# and gi#' are (first four digets only)

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why do you want to know the numbers ? Sorry for the suspicion, but the numbers that are unique to the receivers are necessary for activation, hence, I would think one would be careful with them...
Also are those numbers you want from the menu that pops up from the "Setup" menu ? or are they on stickers on the unit itself ?
A note, AFAIK, there is no model "6000" made by Motorola, I'm assuming the original poster meant a DCT6200...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was told by the rep that the first 4#'s are specific to cogeco and that anything else would not work within their system.

e.g.
GI# 0000 would work #0012 would not

and i can't remember what the AN# should start with

Kev

·
Registered
117 Posts
I will try and ONLY speak from my experience, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what you've been told.
The two DCT6xxx receivers I've bought and had activated on Cogeco have both been from wayyyyyy down in the US. There is no way their "numbers" could have been in the Cogeco "system" .
The statements you got from the CSR sound an awful lot like "bafflegab" to me, but that is just my opinion.
If you want to get the numbers off a receiver you hope to buy, I'm sure you can do that...
Why not just buy a receiver so cheap that if it doesn't work, you can always resell it for the same amount you've got into it ? THat way, you've got an out if for some reason you can't get it activated/working...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks gn2,

why can't csr's and techies just tell the truth.

i will give it a try

thanks again

·
Registered
108 Posts
i was told by the rep that the first 4#'s are specific to cogeco and that anything else would not work within their system
The rep was partially correct. Certain series of Motorola DCT will not work on Cogeco's system, but I think it is only an issue with DCT-2000's with a non-agile OOB (#0000). I don't think you'll have a problem with 6xxx series, but don't quote me on that ;)

Remember you're DCT won't be supported by Cogeco, so if it breaks or doesn't work correctly you'll be on your own.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Partly correct IHM, lol. We have seen the non-agile OOB problem with the 5100 models as well. Not all models of the 5100 but some, so it’s buyer beware as far as that goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finding GI number

Is there any way to get the GI# off a motorola DCT6XXX using the software/firmware? I feel I may have been ripped off since I purchased one off ebay from the states and it was no GI# whatsoever.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you checked every surface ?
I would open it up if you can't find it anywhere on the outside. You can get the UA number from the "Setup" menu, but not the GI number. Thanks, Paul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Download?

uh-oh, I just bought a unit off e-bay but I don't understand the "new download". Where do I go for that and how do I do it?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Call your CC. Have them check to see if the GI# (on the underside of the DCT) can be added to their system. If they can activate the box, all you need to do is plug the DCT into the cable & let it download the currant S/W.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts