Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,872 Posts
The rumoured price was correct.
Motorola said the Xoom WiFi will cost $599 with 32GB of memory - on par with a WiFi-only version of the popular Apple iPad with the same configuration.

·
Registered
66 Posts
end of March was rumored for a while now so no big surprise there, the real question is when the hell is it coming to Canada....

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The other question is why so expensive? Weren't Android tablets supposed to be cheaper?

Excluding folks that really don't like Apple, I really can't see how Motorola expects to generate any significant sales when its the same price as the iPad?

I think this really needs to go out $100 cheaper than iPad to really generate sales.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the US there are rumors of SamsClub possibly pricing it down to $539, if they did that Costco would be sure to follow, weather the same thing would happen here is another story.

I agree with your argument on the price and generating sales but at the same time lets not forget that Xoom has 1gb ram vs 512 on Ipad2, MicroSd card slot to expand to 64GB, HDMI out without having to buy a dongle as well as MicroUsb. Ipad2 has a better looking screen and is obviously lighter/slimmer because it has less features. When you factor all that stuff in Xoom Wifi is really not that bad price wise.

GalaxyTab 2 Wifi 10.1" will be priced a lot more competitive and I think will be the real challenge for Ipad2. It will have a better screen then the Xoom and better battery but will lack features like the card slot, hdmi & usb, but it will also be lighter then Ipad2. Without those features they can really keep the price down.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
When I see the Xoom there are a couple things that are very attractive to me (vs iPad 2):

From a hardware perspective:
- A higher resolution display
- Better cameras

From a software perspective:
- A stand-alone product, no iTunes dependence
- Better browser experience (Tabbed Browser, Flash, etc)
- Better multitasking

As a consumer I'd appreciate lower prices, but I can understand why Motorola would feel that they bring value to the table and avoid cutting prices significantly. Yes, I understand there is a list of items where the iPad 2 is better than the Xoom, but I don't think it's a "clear win" for the iPad for my typical use cases. I also have high hopes for Android 3.

As someone who used Apple computers from 1979 (my dad had a Apple II+ when I was 2 years old), grew up on Macs, and owns a Mac, a couple iPods, an iPad, and have recommended Apple products to many friends/family members I don't think I'd qualify as someone who "really doesn't like Apple", although I have reservations about some of their recent App Store polices for the most part I like most of the decisions they've made.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The future price of Xoom (one assumes the price isn't stable) will depend upon pricing of other Android devices. Samsung is on the verge of releasing a 7" (wifi), 8.9" and a 10ish" inch model.

Prices of the Ipad2(RIM and HP as well) is important but other Android prices will have more of an influence. As time passes, the market will be flooded and prices adjusted accordingly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I agree with your argument on the price and generating sales but at the same time lets not forget that Xoom has 1gb ram vs 512 on Ipad2, MicroSd card slot to expand to 64GB, HDMI out without having to buy a dongle as well as MicroUsb.
I agree that both devices have their merits but, IMO, there is three things the public will focus on: Price, On-board Memory Storage and Apps. I am skeptical that a superior camera or the not having to buy a dongle will convince very many consumers to move to a Xoom instead of an iPad.

If Motorola was smart they would sell a 16GB version at $459 ($40 cheaper than iPad) and then play up the microSD slot. I really believe at $599, this will only have limited sales. What Apple has also been masterful at is introducing compelling software: Pages, Remote, GarageBand etc as an enticement. Motorola has to do the same. Apps are important and I don't think Moto / Samsung etc appreciate that.

Regarding memory, why go 32GB when you have a microSD slot? Why not offer a cheaper 16GB.

Motorola is pretending they are a market leader. If they want to sell millions of these things, they will need to sharpen their pencils.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As time passes, the market will be flooded and prices adjusted accordingly.
I don't buy that argument. If it was true then the iPod would have been doomed by all the inexpensive MP3 players or the comparable ones like Zune.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just noticed that Motorola stock is up over 1% today(and it's a horrible day to own stock) and Apple is down 3+ %.

Just saying....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think that competitors to Apple will not invest enough in marketting, and do a poor job. Just look at the XOOM ads.. horrible - at least compared with iPad. iPad commercials make it look like fun and makes you want one. XOOM ads - not sure what the message is.

I predict that Apple will remain on top as it has with MP3 players.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I predict that Apple will remain on top as it has with MP3 players.
I predict that 24 months from now there will be similar numbers of Android and iOS tablets being sold to consumers worldwide, and Android will grow significantly. I think tablets have more in common with the PC and smartphone markets than it does the MP3 player market, so I think those are better comparisons.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Okay, we've had the Android vs. iOS discussion many times so lets drop it.

The discussion here is the Motorola Xoom and its sales so lets stick to that.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Back on topic.

Whether you like it or not, Apple has created a benchmark of $499 for tablet computers just like they did with the 99 cents a song.

I think for any tablet to succeed commercially in todays marketplace (regardless of whether its Blackberry QNC, WebOS, Android or other) it has to have an entry level model that is $499 or less.

This is why I think Motorola should have considered releasing a 16GB wifi model for a competitive price.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Motorola Mobility to Bring MOTOROLA XOOM(TM) Wi-Fi to Canada
Industry-leading tablet will be available in Canada beginning April 2011

TORONTO, March 21 /CNW/ – Motorola Mobility Canada today announced the MOTOROLA XOOM™ Wi-Fi will be available in Canada this April. MOTOROLA XOOM was called “the most potentially disruptive technology” by CNET at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show, and delivers a new type of mobile computing experience on a 10.1″ HD display – higher resolution and more screen size in a smaller package than the leading competitor – with Android 3.0 (Honeycomb).

MOTOROLA XOOM showcases the innovations of the Honeycomb user experience – including widgets, true multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization – on a 10.1-inch widescreen HD display, enabling video content that’s richer and clearer than ever before. With a 1GHz dual-core processor and 1 GB of RAM, MOTOROLA XOOM delivers exceptionally fast web-browsing performance. The latest Google™ Mobile services include Google Maps™ 5.0 with 3D interaction, and access over 150,000 apps from Android Market™. MOTOROLA XOOM also features full support for features such as tabbed browsing, bookmark syncing and Adobe® Flash® Player1 to deliver a rich and powerful web browsing experience.

“MOTOROLA XOOM brings PC-like power to a tablet, providing consumers with an easy-to-use, lightning fast experience designed with fun and productivity in mind, and we’re thrilled to bring it to Canadians,” said Jeff Miller, corporate vice president, Motorola Mobility.

With 1280×800 resolution to support HD video and with HDMI out; a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera for HD video capture and 2-megapixel front-facing camera for video chats; and a built-in gyroscope, barometer, e-compass, accelerometer and adaptive lighting, MOTOROLA XOOM is leading the tablet revolution. MOTOROLA XOOM supports up to 10 hours of video playback and charges in nearly half the time of competitive tablets on the market.

Motorola Smart Accessories
MOTOROLA XOOM features an ecosystem of intelligent accessories to enhance the tablet experience:

- A Standard Dock for watching video content or listening to music through external speakers as the device charges

- A Speaker HD Dock for sending HD content directly to a TV or clearly listening to music through two built-in speakers – eliminating the need to attach external speakers

- A custom keyboard with Bluetooth® wireless technology and special AndroidTM shortcut keys

Visit Motorola.ca to learn more, including where MOTOROLA XOOM with Wi-Fi will be available to purchase. Motorola XOOM 3G will also be available in Canada mid-year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
oh.my.god! this just made my Monday! Now lets hope it will be available at Costco around the same time, 90 day hassle free Costco return policy > Futureshop any day

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Costco south of the border sells it for $589USD with free gel case and free shipping. Let's hope Costco Canada matches it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts