Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I cant seem to find an answer to what I think there is a simple answer for.

I have 2 HD boxes as mentioned.

Both have the RCA jacks at the front (red, white, yellow) to connect other components. How do I get the box to switch over to that input??

I cant figure it out!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean.....

the TV is allready on the HDMI input so that I can watch the cable box.
Is there not something that I have to switch over to in the cable box?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Lots of STBs have inputs/outputs that are there but not activated - for example, the USB does basically nothing. Up until recently the SATA port was of no use, etc. These are firmware activated depending on the service provider (Cogeco in this case). For the manufacturer (Motorola) it's less expensive and easier to have all of these items in place in case the provider has a desire to use them.

The front Aux input on Rogers SA8300HD were not active until a firmware update a while back, but they do work now. Contact your provider and ask for them to be active. Perhaps if they get enough demand, they will be activated with some future firmware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
USB Ports on the 6416

Does anyone no what will hapen if you plug a usb drive into the front port on my 6416 box I would like to backup some of the shows on my box to dvd

·
Registered
438 Posts
The USB ports on all of Cogeco's boxes are disabled. Nothing will happen.

Backing up shows on your PVR is also not permitted and technically illegal. It can be done over Firewire though.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just talked to the cable company...

They said all the RCA ports on the front were disabled from factory.
Stupidest thing I ever heard!!

Also, You should find that the USB is good for powering some things. I use it to run a laptop cooler fan undrer the 6416.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
There are several reasons why certain ports may not be active.

1. They are problematical with some user equipment - incompatibilities can exist unless the service provider has full control of what is connected.

2. They are not "in demand" by many users (not many people make use if the Aux input for example)

3. They would cause a lot of troubleshooting by the provider (costs money) For example, HDMI may "work" in most instances but may not be officially supported. This was the case years ago, but most providers now support HDMI.

4. The SATA port was only enabled after the firmware became available from Motorola to be able to utilize the additional HDD space - a relatively recent development since these STBs have been around for many years.

When these Motorola STBs were first developed many years ago, these were all "future considerations", so the ports were put in place to be enabled at some future date with firmware.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts