Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1- Is the picture quality good especially on HD channels? Better than Videotron possibly?

2- Do I need to already have a service with Bell to get this? Do I absolutely need to get internet with them?

3- Will they possibly use the existing cables in my house to send the TV signal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Answers to Questions

1- Is the picture quality good especially on HD channels? Better than Videotron possibly?

+From reading in many places the HD picture is better than cable or satellite, SD is better for most channels, worse on some. It woulds depend on the TV for SD

2- Do I need to already have a service with Bell to get this? Do I absolutely need to get internet with them?

+Nope, they seem to want to get you to switch...that's the idea

3- Will they possibly use the existing cables in my house to send the TV signal.
+Once again from what I read, they'll use the existing cables to connect the boxes over Ethernet using the Videotron inside cables

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont get the rental. So what ever the price is there, does it include any rentals or anything. Or for 2 TV's would I need to rent 2 boxes for $5 each or 1 for $20 and 1 for $5?

It says sign up today and get a free whole home pvr rental. it has a little number but doesnt show the fine print anywhere, I am guessing its for 6 months or 1 year only on a contract or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
mapleleafs89, you have to click on the Legal link to see the conditions.
(3) Free PVR rental for 1, 2 or 3 years depending on new activation of (and continued subscription to) 1, 2 or 3 eligible Bell services. Rental price (now $20/mo., subject to change), credited on the account for the first 1, 2 or 3 years, applies thereafter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, here is another question, could I have:

Phone and TV (Fibe TV) with Bell and Internet with Videotron?

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Internet with Videotron

You could keep, I would guess, your Internet with Videotron, but in order to get Fibe TV you will need Bell's Internet...in effect two Internet services. If you want to pay for both it would be your choice. People have been very happy with the speed of Bell's IPTV Internet

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah but they still charge you extra for internet even thought your TV already uses it, right?

so even if you do technically have 2 internet packages, your still paying for 1 either way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it running Mediaroom

Does any one know if Bell is using Microsoft Mediaroom to run their IPTV service and if so which version they are using ?

I tried call customer service and they had no clue what I was talking about.

The reason I am interested in finding out, is because Microsoft made Mediaroom 2.0 compatible with the Xbox 360 and Windows 7 media center. This means that if Bell allows it, you could use either as a extra STB. You would still need 1 PVR since this is where all the recording would take place.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Bell is using Mediaroom. To the best of my knowledge no one is using 2.0 yet. MTS and Telus both use 1.6.25075 and AT&T uses 1.6 something as well.

AT&T is planning to implement the Xbox interface late this year, so maybe Canadian telcos will get it soon as well. That might depend if there are extra licencing costs from Microsoft.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wish somebody would explain more about FibeTV. Even Bell WEB site doesn't have much about it.
I moved to Cogeco area in November and I am very dissatisfied with their TV. I would move back to ExpressVU in the heartbeat if there is a tech possibility for that. So FibeTV is my only viable option. I have to make a thread about that to get some answers.
Anyway, how is picture quality? Costs??

·
Registered
342 Posts
FibeTV availability

As someone said in another post today, FibeTV is only available is a small part of Toronto today, not even where BES was available. It's also in some parts of Montreal. Guess they'll expand in the future.

·
Registered
264 Posts
@zakp - the picture is the same as Rogers for HD. If there is a difference, I can't tell. Naturally, the best picture would be OTA.
The prime installer had done about 40 installs of Fibe TV - he said that they had done some installs on the west side and north in the city. I live in the Beach(es) area and my CO is at Main and Kingston so anyone around there should be able to get the service.

As for price, I already had a Bell land-line and an aDSL connection so I was able to bundle it (phone, internet and HD) for about the the same price we were previously paying for just internet and phone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
multiple pvr instal

I understand that the pause feature will only work on the tv connected to the pvr and not on any of the stb's. Is this true.

Is it possible to get 2 or more pvr's? If so, can they interact with one another (show taped on one will show on another)? If I get 2 pvr's and one stb, can they stb play shows recorded on either pvr?

·
Registered
264 Posts
@borjedman - PVR commands work from any Fibe TV STB. (including pause). That's one of the big selling points of Fibe TV.

As Dr. Dave says - commands only work on recorded programs on non-PVR STBs.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
@borjedman, you can pause recorded TV from any STB. However you can only pause live TV from the PVR. If you expect to pause live TV on a STB, you can record the program and watch it "live" which will allow you to pause and rewind on a STB.

As far as I know you can only have 1 PVR per household.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
tissot, tech specs are on the Bell website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can only find it for the Satellite receiver. I can't find it for the Fibe receivers.

edt: Found my answer from bestbuy.

Another question, If I only need one box can I only use the non-PVR box? I don't think I have enough space for the PVR box.

edit2: Just called and asked Bell. Looks like I'm joining the Fibe team in the new year. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts