Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notices are going out that effective Jan 1st, 2011, Bell is jacking up the cost of calling features by $2.00 per feature.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpPns_Cdp_Landing.page#tabCont1-tabs

OMFG;

- Visual Call Waiting @ $16.95/mo
- Caller ID @ $10.95/mo
- Voice Mail @ $10.95/mo

...and to think I get service plus all the features listed on all three tabs of their website and a whole bunch more not available on Bell for 99-cents a month. LMAO. :)

Yep, Bell POTS is the gold standard all right, but I'm guessing it's not a good time to buy Bell stock; since I see a lot of defections ahead.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I pay $3.00/mo for caller id. $10.95 is insane. The cost of caller id is one of the reasons why I left Bell, and it was $8 at the time. When I first subbed to caller id, it was $5. This is probably the most popular calling feature and Bell is milking it for all they can. They just don't get the fact that crazy high prices drive away customers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ What's even more crazy is that the line-card upgrades and DMS feature licensing to provide caller ID have long since been paid for, so this is essentially close to being a zero-cost of delivery service (save for replacing the odd defective line card).

However, unadulterated greed on Bell's part has turned these features into a cash-cow annuity. That greed may well backfire w/ feature cancellations and service defections.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Greed. Pure and simple. But good luck trying to drop Bell.

I tried to disconnect my POTS line several months ago. I won't bore you with the details, but it was a painful process over several months involving many phone calls, incorrect billing, unexplainable fees and delays, and unnecessary tech visits.

A local company had a great sale on UPS units. So I went VoIP, and haven't looked back.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
^ What's even more crazy is that the line-card upgrades and DMS feature licensing to provide caller ID have long since been paid for, so this is essentially close to being a zero-cost of delivery service (save for replacing the odd defective line card).
Yep. Caller ID and associated services are a byproduct of SS7, which improved switching over telephony networks. There's literally no cost to them. It's as silly as charging for touch-tone, another innovation that improved network efficiency, yet also yielded some benefit to customers--so they charged for it.

And yes, I am aware that government regs necessitate the separate billing of touch-tone service. But it's nonetheless penalizing customers for using a service that improves efficiency for the carrier.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm going to have to seriously consider an alternative. The only option on my phone line is Call Display. That technology has been around 15 years and has long since paid for itself. Bumping the cost $2 is pure, unadulterated greed. My bill will be over $40 for a frickin land line!

After being Bell customers since the dawn of time my parents switched to Primus for their home phone and DSL about a year ago. They've been happy with Primus. I'll have to look more into it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Presumably most people buy a "package" as opposed to an individual feature so will the price really go up for a lot of people?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Remember there are other providers for land line service, even POTS- not VoIP- which are quite a bit cheaper. It's still cheaper than a "bundle" from Bell.

It comes down to really deciding what you NEED as opposed to what you WANT in a feature. The only additional feature we pay for is Call Display ($3/month) and Call Answer ($3/month).

Do we need call waiting? Nope. Why bother. Call Answer answers while you're on the phone anyway.

Do we need Visual Call Waiting? Nope- I'm not running a train station.

Identi-Call? Why. Most people have cell phones now.

My cost:
$6 a month plus the cost of a land line itself ($21).
Under $30.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Wow, talk about a cash cow for Bell, their price structure is obscene nonetheless, and they also still charge that stupid touch-tone fee. I hope Rogers doesn't get any ideas.Might be time to go VOIP for a lot of you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
As soon as I am able to switch to cable internet, I will use VoIP and become a totally Bell free household.

Bell is just too greedy to offer a landline with CID for $40. But the majority of Bell's customers will just don't bother to look for alternatives and keep paying the ransom.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know it's off topic as far as home phone or internet, but their satellite service packagages went up too.

basic the same, basic plus went up $2, essentials $4, extra $6, and max $1.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
But good luck trying to drop Bell.
I just called up another provider and a week later it was switched. No problems at all and completely transparent. My bill dropped $7/mo for the identical features. LD is cheaper as well with no ridiculous extra fees.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Remember there are other providers for land line service, even POTS- not VoIP- which are quite a bit cheaper

I just called up another provider and a week later it was switched.

Two quotes from above postings. Neither one mentions who these other providers might be. Names please!! Thanks

sailmaker

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I moved to Primus years ago from Rogers Internet and Bell POTS. I also have used Vonage for Business and more recently VoIP.ms.

Now I pay less for my home phone, business phone, internet service and LD than I used to pay for my Internet from Rogers.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
What's even more crazy is that the line-card upgrades and DMS feature licensing to provide caller ID have long since been paid for
Those features might be licenced on an ongoing basis. I know I ran across such an issue when trying to provide loop start vs ground start signalling to a customer connected to Bell via a T1. This sort of thing is done in software, rather than hardware, so the phone company has to licence the software to enable the features. However the recent price increase does certainly seem excessive. There is also no justification for some charges. Back when I was with Bell, there was a separate charge for touch tone, even though it wasn't possible to get a phone line without it. Rogers doesn't charge for TT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Really glad i switched. The yearly rate hikes on all of Bell's services are really adding up. And for the lack of additional options, services or anything else i'd not be surprised to see more ppl moving away from Bell.

Paying $19.95 + $10 for a LD package for the same service and features i was paying with Bell which was costing me $70 per month.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
But good luck trying to drop Bell
I switched to Rogers a couple of years ago and my bill was less for the same features. No problem at all. BTW, Rogers charges $4 for caller ID.

·
Banned
364 Posts
Network Charges

How come nobody is including the network charges they must pay for long distance in the prices they've been listing here?

That $10 long distance package is really $16 when you add in the network charge. That's a 60% difference!

I currently use Bell for home phone only, with only Call Display. I pay around $34 + HST / mo. I rarely use long distance and have a separate plan through Sears that is $1.50 + 5 cents/min anytime but my monthly long distance rarely exceeds $10 - $15. All in, I'm usually less than $50 - $55 a month for home phone.

I see Primus has $29.95 ($19.95 for 3 months, wow) home phone with two features, plus $10 for 1000 long distance minutes. Add in the 911 fee and network fee and I'm looking at $46 + HST = $52 / month. Not really any savings there (I don't pay the network fee with Bell as I use the Sears LD and don't pay it to Sears either, unless it's included). I guess Bell is going up $2 a month, but I'm sure Primus won't be the same forever either.

Does anyone know if you don't get LD if you are excluded from paying the network fee? If that's the case it might be worth swapping out Bell but keeping my existing LD plan with Sears.

I guess if I used more LD minutes, it would be a big savings. As it is, switching would save me less than $30/year. I've thought about switching to Cogeco for home phone, but I'm already less than pleased with their TV service (Internet is fine for the most part) and I can't in good conscience give them more money when they're making plenty now and not spending it on anything useful.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts