1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
There was an article in The Toronto Star by Sean Gordon (Quebec swears by its English curses) a couple of years ago on this topic. I saved it but I can't find an original link to the article. It is posted elsewhere on the net, though likely without permission. It starts off:

In English Canada it is among the baddest of the bad words, a wash-your-mouth-out-with-soap, four-letter epithet considered unsuitable for polite company, never mind broadcast.

And yet, it is heard almost daily on Quebec's f-bomb friendly airwaves, where French-speaking hosts - and their guests - cheerfully throw the word around as a colourful alternative to "heck."

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm not be offended by people throwing the f-word around as a "colourful" adjective, however, for a radio personality to attack a guest repeatedly saying "[email protected]#^ you" that is, in my opinion, grounds for a fine.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Calling firemen terrorists and the union leader a lumbering moron is not exactly ethical.

I have no problem with the word being used on satellite radio where the stations that use the language are clearly marked and I can decide whether or not to tune in but its unacceptable on AM/FM radio

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
There was an article in The Toronto Star by Sean Gordon (Quebec swears by its English curses) a couple of years ago on this topic. I saved it but I can't find an original link to the article. It is posted elsewhere on the net, though likely without permission. It starts off:
Strange double standard for a province which hates to see English on signs, on sandwich boards in front of restaurants, English words in French usage and has language police to oversee the whole thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.