Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to modify the software in a 9200 to work like a media player like the WD TV Live? From what I've read, it runs Linux, so why wouldn't it be possible? I'm surprised people haven't started hacking them for things other than watching subscription television.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If it was possible, it would be done already. Especially with the amount of now useless 9200s being deactivated. Also, it doesn't run Linux.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You know, now that I think about it, I think what I read was something about their hard drives using a Linux file system.

That's too bad. I guess I'll just stop being a cheapass and buy a WD TV Live.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Sell the Hard Drive from the 9200 to help fund your purchase. The drive is ideal for the 9241/9242.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much do they sell for? And where could I try to sell it? I'm in a small town so kijiji isn't really viable.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
After the HDTV MPEG4 switch, there are two good uses for a Bell 9200. Those are as a very good Bell SDTV PVR or as an OTA PVR (with no guide info.)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
9200 does receive some of the free preview channels as well as OTA signals. I use mine everyday to record OTA programs. You need the satellite dish connect for OTA to work.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Just cancel through the error messages and you should be able to view all recorded content.

It can be used as an EHD on the 9241/9242 but it will have to be formatted by the receiver, loosing all recordings.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
With both satellite inputs connected mine is working exactly the same as it did before the swap except that only a couple of free preview channels are available plus all the OTA. All previous recorded programs are still available on the HD to view. Timer for OTA work as well.

I don't know what your problem is. Perhaps if you tell us what is happening, what error messages you are getting we can help you.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I can only guess that the poster does not have the Sat feeds connected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With both satellite inputs connected mine is working exactly the same as it did before the swap except that only a couple of free preview channels are available plus all the OTA. All previous recorded programs are still available on the HD to view. Timer for OTA work as well.

I don't know what your problem is. Perhaps if you tell us what is happening, what error messages you are getting we can help you.
With the sat feeds connected it tells me that the receiver is not authorized and I need to call the number listed? And right now I have the hard drive removed and connected to my pc trying to initialize it so that I can use it as a external drive but I am getting nowhere?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If the Hard Drive is out, what exactly do you want/expect the 9200 to do.?

That drive is worth more as a replacement for the 9241/9242 than it is as an external drive for a PC.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts