Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Our legal counsel has served Rogers with a demand letter advising them of our intentions to pursue legal action should it launch the chatr brand in the manner that has been communicated so far,” John Bitove, Toronto-based Mobilicity’s chairman, said in an interview.
Looks like Mobilicity isn't going to take Chatr's (now delayed) launch lying down. It will be interesting to see if the CRTC or Federal government respond. As far as the Feds are concerned, I can't see blocking Chatr making them very popular among most voters, and I wonder if that would impact their decision.

·
Registered
748 Posts
@TorontoColin

Don't understand the point you are making wrt a response by the feds but it's difficult to predict what response, if any, might come. The Harper government wanted more competition and Industry Minister Tony Clement didn't hesitate to over-rule the CRTC and years of Canadian policy to give Wind a pass around the ownership rules. Unpredictability is the word with Clement.

It's doubtful a minister would wade in before the competition board has a chance to look at it and rule, which could take months, but then what. Chatr would argue all it's doing is competing while Mobilicity would have to prove Chatr is temporary, targeted and intended to put Mobi out of business. Chatr would be expected to bolster its case with evidence that Wind and Public Mobile have not complained and have in fact responded that they are prepared to meet the competition.

Unless Mobilicity can get an injunction before July 28th (latest reported launch date for Chatr) it, and government ministers, will be up against a bunch of users who won't want to see their carrier quashed.

I'm with those who suggest Mobilicity would be better to concentrate on getting the performance issues out of its system and expanding to a fwe more of the cities ir has promised. The seems to be the course Wind and Public Mobile are taking. It's been a long time since Mobi launched in Toronto and I haven't seen a peep or rumour about other cities.

One or the ironies of this spat is the a huge source of income for the Bitove Corp, which is the money behind Mobilicity, is its food concessions in the Rogers Centre (pretty sure Bitove still has that contract). If Ted Rogers were still around he'd probably lock Bitove out of the "Skydome" until Mobi saw the light and damn the legal consequences. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well on the one hand Clement seems determined to enable competition in Canada, however that was also popular among the public who also want to see competition. Now if it comes to it does he protect the new entrants from a young death or does he allow Chatr and it's lower prices? If Clement believes that Chatr is designed to kill the competition and then disappear, will he make a potentially very unpopular decision in order to protect the new entrants.

That's only one of the many possible outcomes though. If they follow due process it should never reach the Feds.

Proving it's targeted is easy, leaked Chatr training slides from Rogers said as much explicitly. Proving it's temporary is next to impossible, only high-level Rogers people will know whether that's true.

I agree that they would be better off simply providing better and more expanded service. As you said, since the Toronto launch Mobilicity hasn't said a word about it's next city. I would hope they're working somewhere, but nobody really knows if they're doing anything at all. Wind obviously seemed to expect this, I don't know why Mobilicity is so shocked. Public Mobile should be the most threatened here, Chatr targets their demographic much more directly. At least Wind/Mobilicity have data and smartphones to keep themselves unique.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The major differentiation of Chatr is not pricing, but network (quality/coverage) - the weakest point of all new entrants.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Considering Chatr is supposed to be launching in select markets only (i.e. where Wind Mobile is operating), I could see them tack on extra fees for "roaming outside your home zone" (like WIND users do when they roam onto a Rogers tower).

Time will tell on that one.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The leaked training slides for Chatr suggest $0.25/minute when outside a zone. What is unclear is the size of the zones, though I would expect them to basically mimic Wind.
The most "amasing" thing about the leaked roaming fees is that they apply in both Canada and the USA; a huge drop from the $1.65 (I think) US roaming fee now and certain to put pressure on Rogers Wireless and Fido to explain the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts