Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mobilicity today confirmed its products will soon be available at 7-Eleven Canada stores across Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton.

Mobilicity will offer mobile phone offering at almost 150 7-Eleven locations later this year in time for the holiday shopping season.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Interesting that 7-11 would compete with their own product. I wonder if this signifies the beginning of the end for SpeakOut Wireless.

This is a good move for Mobilicity, for a new company the more distribution channels you have the better.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
^^^^
How is that differernt from Loblaws selling other brands, in addition to their own? I'm sure they get a commision, so either way it's income. Also, stores like Loblaws and 7-11 simply rebrand someone else's service and sell it as their own.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I also suspect PC mobile is on it's way out, but I could be wrong about that. The big difference is that Loblaws is selling every mobile brand they can, 7-11 is only adding one, and it's a brand that would seem to compete very stiffly on price.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hope speakout doesn't go away they are the best pay as you go operator out there. Fantastic service, the best I have had from any cellphone provider, and no topping up for a year, which means put $100 on the phone and only go to a 7 11 store once a year to top up! (for me anyhow!) When I was with them my cell phone bill was about $8 per month. They can compete, they just don't market well/much

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Not so sure it is a good move by Mobilicity. Last time I asked a 7-11 employee about SpeakOut they knew zero about the product.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that lack of product knowledge is the downside with 7-Eleven but I would think the expanded distribution is worth the downside.

Outside of folks like us, many people don't know much about these new wireless entrants so they need to get in front of potential customers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have been to a mobliciy store and they. Didn't know much about there own product either. Going low end like they do. Can work against them. Poor direct customer service can be a real turn off. That's where wind has an advantage. More control over the customer experience.
Mobilicity wins in aggressive discounts, but in the long run people want a good customer experience as much as good rates

·
Registered
748 Posts
I see a point in selling SIM cards for unlocked phones and airtime/data in convenience stores. This is what's done in other countries and a great way for tourists to get connected. 7-11 is known outside North America as a place to go for SIM cards and, as an international brand, is probably judged a more trustworthy than a local, no-name vendor. Tourists see 7-11 and know they can get hooked-up quickly and fairly. Convenience stores here have sold top-up airtime cards for years and adding SIM cards makes sense as more and more of us use unlocked phones.

OTOH, I don't see much advantage is selling devices this way. It's not like we buy a new phone as often as we buy milk and bread or that phones are such an impulse buy. The costs of installing displays with dummy phones, keeping a stock of real phones, guarding against "stock shrinkage" and obsolescence must be significant. Does the volume of sales justify the cost? When I pass a Gateway newsstand and see the Public Mobile display I've yet to hear someone ask for "a Star, a Snickers and one of these Nokias". ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts