Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find this rather promising on Mobilicitys part! While Wind has taken the stand they will not upgrade their network Mobli is going ahead with plans to improve it. I guess the additional funding they were looking to get came through!

Interesting times ahead!

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Activating HSPA 21 shouldn't be much more than pushing a software update to the towers. The question I have is whether Mobilicity is doing this because they plan on increasing capacity on their data centres to offer these kinds of speeds, or whether they just believe their deep packet inspection and, in my opinion, somewhat draconian throttling system can keep data use low enough that it won't matter. If it's the former, then good for them. If it's the latter, then this is mostly PR fluff.

While Wind has taken the stand they will not upgrade their network Mobli is going ahead with plans to improve it.
I don't think Wind has ever said anything of the sort. Their comments with regard to spectrum auctions are different from potential network upgrades. Even so, Wind has been mostly HSPA 21 for quite some time now. The problem is that their available capacity isn't high enough to offer those speeds consistently. Rogers has the same problem in many regions.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Rockjock has been against Wind from day one. He has made this clear on the Wind community, and now here. So I wouldn't put much into what he says, IMHO anyways.

I have read in the past that Wind is indeed going to launch a 4G network. Not sure if this was fact or rumours though.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Wind announced ages ago that they were activating 4G.
http://windmobileblog.com/2011/08/launch-day-in-kw/

And our network isn't just getting bigger – it's also getting better as we start rolling out network upgrades to 4G data speeds (HSPA+ or up to 21mbps)
(August 2011)

Users probably don't notice it in active areas because of saturation or phones that don't support it (majority of phones are only 7.2mbps and some even 3mbps except for the very high end offerings or brand new releases).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts