Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed an Android app called "TuneIn Radio", which can be used to listen to many radio stations via the Internet. It's available in the Android Market.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I use Nobex Radio Companion on my Blackberry in the GTA. I love being able to listen to AM talk radio when on the move. Only stations I can't get seem to be Rogers radio, like the Fan590.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What that research was about was actually having an AM or FM tuner inside.

I have an several radio internet apps for my iPhone but I would love to have an AM/FM tuner inside my smartphone so I could listen to the local news or sports station.

With Blue Jays, you can't listen to the game on the local AM station over the internet so the internet radio app is of no value. Also a tuner means no data charges.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I agree, a real FM radio is a nice thing and if fact the HTC Desire has a built in FM radio.

As it turns out the radio H/W is also in the Nexus one and if you load a Desire based ROM on the N1 the radio also works.

The dev guys are trying to get a native FM app running on the N1, which would be cool.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Absolutely a real tuner would be great. I mention Nobex just to show how even with all my 8GB of mp3's, I still just want regular radio. Now is there a reason why some phones will have an FM tuner, but never an AM tuner?

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What that research was about was actually having an AM or FM tuner inside.
There's an FM tuner in my Nokia N800, but I didn't use it very often.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now is there a reason why some phones will have an FM tuner, but never an AM tuner?
The problem for both is the antenna. An antenna for FM radio is much larger than for cell phones or WiFi. An AM antenna is much, much larger again. While it is possible to use some methods, such as loading coils, to improve performance, there is a limit to what can be done in such a small package. My Nokia N800 uses the headphone cable as an antenna for the FM tuner.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I also think you'd run into severe interference issues if a cell phone had an AM tuner. It would probably be fairly tricky to isolate the AM antenna from the cellular antennas.

·
Registered
528 Posts
+1 on TuneIn Radio. An excellent app, and I can listen to all the local (GTA) FM stations. If I want AM, like 680news, I can get it via their site. AFAIK, I can run the Tune In app just with wifi, so no need for Bell's data network (my carrier).

So for me, a built in tuner is not needed. YMMV.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Galaxy S has a radio app and it works really well. Picks up all the FM stations in my town with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If an FM tuner and antenna can be squeezed into that new "slightly larger than a postage stamp" iPod Nano, then surely size can't be all that much of a constraint, can it?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The only disappointing thing about the Galaxy S is that the radio tuner only outputs in mono (not stereo). Granted, the reception is overall fairly good, so perhaps it's a decent tradeoff for some people.

·
Banned
328 Posts
The FM Radio that comes with the HTC Desire is pretty good, you do need the headphones as your antenna but sounds great when you put it on speakerphone.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Is this really new? Several years ago before "smartphone" was even a word there were a few cell phone handset models that had FM tuners in them. I distinctly recall that advertisements back then actually pointed out that feature.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If an FM tuner and antenna can be squeezed into that new
Is the antenna within the unit? Or does it use the headphone cable like the Nokia N800? Antenna sizes are very much determined by the laws of physics. An antenna for FM would be about 10x or 20x the size of one used for cell phones. You can use loading, but that reduces efficiency and also takes space. You could use high gain, high impedance amplifiers, but that leaves you wide open for interference problems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My two year old cell phone has FM radio. The headphones are the antenna. I've never used it.

I find it useless because a) I seldom use headphones on my phone and b) the ones that come with the phone are the most uncomfortable headphones ever made.

I had an old Creative Zen Vision:M with FM too. Same set up. Never used that either.

I do use the various radio apps out there, which allow me to listen through the phone speaker.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yes, that's pretty much the reason FM radio in phones hasn't been in demand, although available on various phones for almost 10 years - stations can only be received through headphones plugged in. Not practical, and useful to very few people. I bet they didn't tell that to people who participated in the survey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts