Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I hate soccer, but wow is this ever entertaining so far... The fans are absolutely going NUTS!!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I love soccer (but I've always hated MLS) and I agree. That atmosphere was up there with the best of the smaller stadiums in England. I really like TSN's choice of commentators too. Luke Wileman is great (a lot better than boring Nigel Reed) and Jason deVos is one of the best soccer analysts around, not just in North America.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So what's happening with Nigel Reed? The last time I saw him on TV he was on the CBC talking about...the cricket World Cup!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have no clue. I guess CBC will still use him as a pundit (even though he isn't really one) for their Women's World Cup coverage this summer. GolTV Canada doesn't have a commentator for their Toronto FC games now, so I wonder if he will get that job.

·
Registered
294 Posts
GolTV doesn't currently have any TFC games scheduled. So far only about 12 games have been announced as being televised, all on either TSN or TSN2.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Luke Wileman can still do the Gol TV games, I suppose. He still hosts the TFC related shows for them.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
GolTV doesn't currently have any TFC games scheduled. So far only about 12 games have been announced as being televised, all on either TSN or TSN2.
There was an image posted to Twitter that suggests that GOL TV does have 21 matches. Along with TSN's 13, that makes 34. See:

The only mystery that remains is who is airing the Voyageur's Cup (the Champions League qualifying games).

Luke Wileman can still do the Gol TV games, I suppose. He still hosts the TFC related shows for them.
However on last Thursday's edition of Toronto FC Tonight, they did note that it would be Luke's last appearance and Lee Godfrey commented that he didn't know if he'd be working with Luke again anytime soon. So perhaps Luke and Jason won't be doing the GOL TV games.

I never knew Canada had more than one team.
Vancouver Whitecaps have been around in one form or another for decades. They've been playing in whatever the second tier of US football is called for years. As have Montreal, and as now are Edmonton. So we have 4 professional teams currently. And then a couple of dozen semi-pro teams.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Luke has stated that he won't be working GolTV games anymore. Biggest reason is because GolTV is owned by MLSE and TFC is owned by MLSE. Hard to appear impartial when you are employed by one of the teams you cover on a national basis. You could say the same of Greg Millen of course.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
What about Jason? He had no problem doing the colour commentary for CBC while employed by GOL TV.

Any word on who will now be doing the play-by-play? I guess Greg Dobson has some time on his hands, as does Nigel Reed.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think the difference there was deVos was only doing TFC games, in fact I think it was labeled as Toronto FC on CBC. Of course I wouldn't expect Wileman or deVos to be biased towards TFC because they both seem like fine commentators.

I would guess Reed. He will have a lot of time on his hands. Dobson is pretty occupied with hosting Sportsnet's EPL and Champions League broadcasts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts