Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to make this short and find people's preferences with what is out there.

I have a PS3 and WD HD TV Live on another TV with only 2 speakers.
Tonnes of blu-rays that I want to downsize and play wherever I want in the house (yes, I could just pop in PS3, but at times, the streaming just works perfectly with the kids).
I do use PS3 media streamer as well and movies are kept on a NAS device.

Now, what are people's preferences to how they downsize a file and still keep high quality.
I used Handbrake on my Mac (and at times find that after it is completed, the file will not play) and Ripbot 264 on the PC.

I'm looking for high quality video (I usually keep at 1080p), and the audio converted from DTS. (Why you ask? I usually take the WD player on vacation with the kids, and keep movies on a 1T 2.5. Not all places we have full out stereos for DTS, so trying to keep good sound without losing too much).

What container to people prefer? I'm reading the mp4 does not do 5.1. m2ts is great but need some muxer action, MKV is good but need PS3 mediaplayer for PS3 etc.

I'd like to see what the forum brings as alot of searches i am finding info from 2009 etc. See what's new and what everyone is using.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm currently ripping stuff to MKV's. Very impressed with the encoding and maintaining 5.1. Small sizes to boot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm currently using Handbrake to encode them into MKV's with AC3 pass-through. It can rip from ISO's, raw DVD's or pretty much anything. It will output in either MP4's or MKVs, or ipod formats. They've dropped support for encoding to AVI's as it seems AVI's are no longer the preferred format.

Handbrake is free for Windows, MAC and Linux.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually no. When I backup my DVD's, somehow Handbrake can figure out where the actual movie starts and cuts all the preview/menu stuff. When the encode is done, all your left with is just the flick itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I rip blu ray to m2ts files with dvdfab. I tried mkv files with mixed results. Often I had audio sync issues, but not always. Dvdfab has worked perfectly and is a one click solution for me. MKV's are a little bit smaller files, but with 2TB hard drives for under $80, its not really an issue. I know a lot of people seem to use mkv's, but i prefer m2ts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use Xillisoft Video Converter for H264 as MP4. They play perfectly in Windows 7 and XBOX. They are about 1/2 the size of the original (but I don't need compression). This is one of the few tools that seems to work all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts