Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my in-laws, trying to figure something out with their Shaw cable (in Calgary). I tried digging through the threads, sorry if this has already been answered. They have the DCT 6416 III, and certain channels seem to have audio only. It's currently plugged in through component. Specifically, channels 217 (CTV) 218 (global), 219 (CITY) don't seem to be working (possibly others). She said she called shaw, and they basically said her PVR model is too old and those channels work work, but that doesnt' sound right to me.

I have done some preliminary troubleshooting but nothing too much yet. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
17,074 Posts
MPEG4 Compatible Digital Boxes:
Motorola DCX3200 P2
Motorola DCX3200 P3
Motorola DCX3400
Motorola DCX3510-M
Pace Aspen (TDC776D)
Pace Summit (DC758D)
Shaw Gateway/Portals

List of Channels that can only be Viewed with an MPEG4 Digital Box:
APTN HD
AXN Movies HD
Comedy Network
DTOUR HD
Encore Avenue 2 HD
Fairchild TV 2 HD
FX Canada HD
Global News BC 1
H2 HD
HiFi HD
Knowledge Network
Lifetime HD
MGM Channel HD
Movie Central On Demand
National Geographic Wild
NBA League Pass
NFL Sunday Ticket
NHL Center Ice
RADX
Slice HD
Smithsonian
Sony Movie Channel HD
Sportsnet World HD
Super Channel On Demand
Timeshift City HD
Timeshift CTV HD
Timeshift Global HD
TV On Demand
W Network HD
Warner Films HD

Source

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow. Alright then! Thanks. I come form the East Coast (NB - Aliant) where we own all our boxes so can usually always get the latest. Seemed super weird and kind of annoying that that was the case but thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Shaw Cable, you own the box as well but you don't get to replace the box unless it does not work. I never heard of any provider that replaces a box for free to just get the latest and greatest. The provider would be losing profit if they keep doing this.

Your in-laws can get own those boxes. They just have to buy them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
List of Channels that can only be Viewed with an MPEG4 Digital Box: ...
...TV On Demand
how strange that TV on Demand is on the list.

I'm able to watch TV on Demand on my DCT 6200. I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of content(and HD content) available on TV on Demand?

·
Super Moderator
17,074 Posts
It's possible that only the HD shows on the MPEG4 channels are stored in MPEG4 format in TV on Demand. For example, you might need an MPEG4-compatable box to play Louie from FX Canada HD through TV on Demand.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just looked at the DCX3400 which is on the same account. It has exactly the same amount of content(and HD content) available as the DCT 6200.

The Shaw VOD website shows a lot more content available.

Food Network, FX, H2, HGTV, History, Lifetime, Nat Geo Wild, National Geographic, OLN, OWN, Showcase, Slice, SPEED, Spike, Sundance, Teletoon, TLC, and Travel + Escape are not available on the DCT6200 or DCX3400.

I wonder if that content is only available on the gateway or the ones with the new guide? I've seen H2 available on the TV on Demand section previously. Now it's no longer available.

·
Super Moderator
17,074 Posts
Wheelman, you can order TV shows from VOD.Shaw.ca and have them sent to your DCX3400 (only for channels that you subscribe to). Also, the website sometimes has more back episodes for the shows than you see through the 3400.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pace 770D question

I've got a whistler, if that helps

Recently, I've noticed that I can fully recieve certain HD channels and not others. by that, I mean full picture and sound. Some , just sound only, no picture (I'm looking at you, ComedyHD). Would this have to do with how the picture is transmitted (mpeg-2 vs mpeg4) and the capabilities of my Pace Whistler?
thanks

John b

1 - 14 of 14 Posts